Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #21

Re: Long term idling gas engine an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Are you saying have to wait 10 minutes before restarting a diesel after it's been turned off?
No, my opinion is that you can run a diesel and or idle it safely for long periods as long as you don't turn it off after extended idling. Meaning the worst thing you can do is idle it for 20 minutes and then shut it down, because all the carbon buildup from idling then cools and hardens in the engine... which does cause a problem.

My contention is that driving it at normal operating temperatures (highway) after extended idling is fine and will burn the excess carbon deposits, but that's something I read somewhere on the Internet, so it's largely an opinion vs. the "never ever idle your diesel" attitude.

I tend to leave the diesel running if possible, just because it's easier/better for them in a lot of situations, but that's a whole other topic!

Old 10-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Are you saying have to wait 10 minutes before restarting a diesel after it's been turned off?
No, my opinion is that you can run a diesel and or idle it safely for long periods as long as you don't turn it off after extended idling. Meaning the worst thing you can do is idle it for 20 minutes and then shut it down, because all the carbon buildup from idling then cools and hardens in the engine... which does cause a problem.
thanks for the input Jage.

so you don't suggest a scenario that you are camping without any hook-ups and you start the diesel in the morning to warm up the van (if it's cold inside) and charge the batteries for the day's use and then turn off after 10-20 minutes having not driven anywhere and repeating this process for a few days or maybe a week until you decide to move to another camping spot. If that's the case, then you should design your van's support systems around being self sufficient from running the diesel daily. correct?

thanks!
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #23

I am no expert; I just want to broach something they've mentioned on the Sprinter site. I keep reading that idling a late model Sprinter at all isn't good because of the EGR system and that Blu-Tek liquid that the exhaust gasses recirculate through. If I'm understanding correctly what the guys over there are saying, this new contraption gums the diesel up badly under any idling circumstances. Lots of them talk about waiting until this device is replaced with better technology before buying another Sprinter. Again, like Sgt. Schultz, "I know nothing!" I keep noticing their mentioning of it though. Can anyone here shed more light on this contraption and its issues???
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #24

Quote:
so you don't suggest a scenario that you are camping without any hook-ups and you start the diesel in the morning to warm up the van (if it's cold inside) and charge the batteries for the day's use and then turn off after 10-20 minutes having not driven anywhere and repeating this process for a few days or maybe a week until you decide to move to another camping spot. If that's the case, then you should design your van's support systems around being self sufficient from running the diesel daily. correct?

thanks!
I wouldn't suggest that for any engine. The hardest thing you can do to an engine is to run it hard when it is cold. And the 2nd hardest thing you can do is to run it and shut it off before it is fully hot. And that doesn't mean water temp. You have to get the oil hot enough to vaporize any water that has condensed. For me, that means drive it 20 miles before shutting it off.

Short trips every now and then aren't a big deal. But, don't make a habit out of it. And if you have to do it, change the oil every 2500 miles to prevent problems.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:

thanks!
I wouldn't suggest that for any engine. The hardest thing you can do to an engine is to run it hard when it is cold. And the 2nd hardest thing you can do is to run it and shut it off before it is fully hot. And that doesn't mean water temp. You have to get the oil hot enough to vaporize any water that has condensed. For me, that means drive it 20 miles before shutting it off.

Short trips every now and then aren't a big deal. But, don't make a habit out of it. And if you have to do it, change the oil every 2500 miles to prevent problems.

Mike
good suggestion Mike. I guess that makes sense cause I've seen my car even run very rough if I've pulled it out of the garage, parked it in the driveway and pulled it back it in without going for a drive and then repeated that process the next day.

so based on this practice, do most campers add a gas generator or rely on a solar panel to support the electrical appliances and lights?

thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #26

From what I've seen, most SMB's have solar, most big RV's have generators

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
From what I've seen, most SMB's have solar, most big RV's have generators
Mike
I like the quiet/passive alternative. Thanks.

BTW - Alaska to Key West is most impressive.
I've been to KW twice. First time during spring break in college with a buddy sleeping on the beach at night to save money. The second time with my wife staying in a hotel, naturally. Perhaps my third trip will be in our SMB