Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #1

Long term idling gas engine an issue?

I may finally getting my act together and getting an SMB. I asked this question once before, but wanted a bit more feedback. I could get an SMB with a generator, but they are hard to find used, my preferred route. I go some places that are hot, so the alternative would be to run van A/C with the gas engine idling. I'll be getting gas, not diesel. Might idle two hours at a wack. I would never sleep with the engine running. How big of an problem, is this, if at all? Thanks.

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #2

Re: Long term idling gas engine an issue?

Yes, it could be a problem. There is a urban myth that you can idle a diesel but you shouldn't do that either. This was discussed years ago on either this Forum or the Yahoo List. Someone more knowledgeable than me can tell you the problems or call you local Ford Service Manager...
Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #3

Well, for the record you can die of CO poisoning while you're awake. The catalytic converter is supposed to help (I've heard you can't suicide with a modern vehicle in the classic fashion)...

As far as the engines, you can idle either engine for long periods. It's not like your block will crack in half if you let it idle too long- it's been a long time pet peeve of mine that "you're not supposed to do this, not supposed to do that". Are you putting wear and tear on your engine? Absolutely. Shortening the life? Maybe. To a point you would care about? Questionable.

It's made of replicable parts, in fact the engine itself (block, whatever) is ultimately replicable. Is it worth the possible costs to abuse your engine in a particular manner? Quite probably.

Don't get me wrong, something like slapping 35" tires on without regearing the axles will eat your transmission. That's a stupid move. But if running the engine to use the A/C in the extreme cases takes your ultimate V10 engine life from 300,000 to 270,000 do you really care? That, to me, is the question.

[/rant]
Old 10-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #4

The Ford gas engines can be idled no problem. (The 6.0 must be fast idled if idling for extended time).

I used mine for stationary power, and will easily put on 20 hours of idling at the track in a weekend, and much more if dry camping for a week. It's quieter than a generator, uses only a little more fuel, and on RV trailers, charges the batteries faster than the trailer converters on 120v.

Even with all my idling, and towing heavy more often than not, and off-roading, and high-speed desert driving (well into the triple digits), my V10 is at 292,000 miles and running strong.

The new Ambulances all have the V10, and they run 24-7. In many cities, Ambulances are not allowed to shut off while on duty.

One note - if idling a lot I run Chevron to keep the carbon deposits down. It is the one side effect I've noticed of extended idling. But a good hard tow burns it right off.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
uses only a little more fuel
Hmmm... at least something like twice the fuel, I'd say. I seem to remember my Scangauge saying idling my V10 burns 0.8 GPH. A Honda 3000 watt generator burns 0.5 GPH at full power (or 0.07 GPH at idle).

In normal use, I find that my Honda generator burns about 5 gallons a day. 24 hours of V10 idling would be 19 gallons.

-- Geoff
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
The Ford gas engines can be idled no problem. (The 6.0 must be fast idled if idling for extended time).
What does this mean? I know the diesel has a fast idle knob but how do you make the V10 fast idle without sitting there with you foot on the gas pedal?
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #7

I understand that as long as the cooling system is in good shape long idles do not hurt the V-10. The police leave their cars on full shifts. However: I left my new van running several hours on a hot day and the air conditioning did not work well at all because of the lack of air moving over the engine and radiator. Driving on that same day the air worked fine. RD
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Quote:
What does this mean? I know the diesel has a fast idle knob but how do you make the V10 fast idle without sitting there with you foot on the gas pedal?
I think the idea is that gasoline engines don't need to be fast idled like diesels do. Extended normal idle doesn't damage the engine.

-- Geoff
Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Quote:

You can add a fast idle switch in the V10 using the PTO wiring, but it's not necessary. Only the 6.0 diesel requires a fast idle switch for extended idling. The 7.3L PSD could be slow idled.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
Quote:
Quote:
I think the idea is that gasoline engines don't need to be fast idled like diesels do. Extended normal idle doesn't damage the engine.

-- Geoff
yep my bad... was thinking the 6.0 was the 6.3 V10 instead of the diesel. Thought it read that it was recommended to fast idle the V10. Read it wrong and now understand you were refering to the diesel not the V10.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote