Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #11

Msanda, where are you located? You can add your location to your profile so that others may see. Once people know where you're located, you might be surprised at what kind of collaborative opportunities are within close proximity. Tons of talented people and endless knowledge on this forum and many are very generous with their time to meet with and help others. At the very least you might be able to meet up with some members and check out some sweet vans.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #12

Ahhh, to be young again! LOTS of very sound advice here from many super talented experienced people.

The BUSINESS side of BUSINESS is a skill set all in its own. It is nearly impossible to find a single person who can do it all. Why? Because the passion for designing, building, creating that drives an engineer is not the same as the passion for accounting, marketing, operations, scheduling, regulations, liability, legal, HR, facilities.

I have seen so many talented technical people I wish I had met when they were first getting started. Both of our lives would likely have been very much different and lucrative because of the joining of passions. But that arrangement comes with its own set of issues and requires a healthy and functional respect of each other's viewpoints / observations / concerns / visions.

Team up with a really good business person with ten years plus experience that has a side passion around building things. Make sure there is deep respect in BOTH directions. Then you have a foundation from which to create a lasting company.

As suggested, do a build or two, keep track of ALL your time and purchases and see what it comes out to. You might be surprised. And btw - keep track of all your research time, thinking in the "middle of the night of a solution" time, going to get the parts, the parts you end up not using, the redo's, etc. You might find your price points to be a bit low.

Oh, and we have not even started with the hours of phone calls from prospective customers and what they "think" they want, but "oh wait, what if we change this" before there is even a contract to build. Scope changes during the build and after delivery support. All this while you are trying to build the next rig(s). Dang it, why doesn't he answer my emails or phone calls???? I have cash in hand!!

Find your teammates first. If you can build a team, then you can build a business

Old 09-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #13

Everyone,

Thank you for the advice! Ive decided to start small (shelving the LMTV build for a while) and building ford transits, transit connects, sprinters, and e250-350s.

Quick question for all the senior members who have seen many vehicles come and go. I purchased a 1997 7.3L E350 chassis with a 2012 body swap, it has full UJoint off-road 4x4 conversion 8" fox 2.0 lift, and custom rack but 360,000 miles.. I am installing a all laminate and starboard interior with outside shower, solar, etc.. What should I price it at? The build isn't complete but i will have around 40 hours into it, and when completed it will look very professionally built. van was $19,000 and I'm putting around $10k into it.. Anything helps
Msanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msanda View Post
Quick question for all the senior members who have seen many vehicles come and go. I purchased a 1997 7.3L E350 chassis with a 2012 body swap, it has full UJoint off-road 4x4 conversion 8" fox 2.0 lift, and custom rack but 360,000 miles.. I am installing a all laminate and starboard interior with outside shower, solar, etc.. What should I price it at? The build isn't complete but i will have around 40 hours into it, and when completed it will look very professionally built. van was $19,000 and I'm putting around $10k into it.. Anything helps
Tin top or penthouse?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #15

Fixed high top, with 6'2" interior height
Old 09-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #16

With that mileage it's tough to price.. I honestly can't recall any other van with that kind of mileage selling in the least 3-4 years. So you'll have to find a buyer who's not scared of it..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Everyone,

Thank you for the advice! Ive decided to start small (shelving the LMTV build for a while) and building ford transits, transit connects, sprinters, and e250-350s.

I think the 8" lift really limits your market as well. I remember an 05 or 06 Chateau with the 8" kit and 37's and it was for sale for a really long time.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #18

Quote:

What should I price it at? The build isn't complete but i will have around 40 hours into it, and when completed it will look very professionally built. van was $19,000 and I'm putting around $10k into it.. Anything helps
You're building a camper yes? In 40 hours? Took me that long to insulate and soundproof my Ambo.
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #19

All of that is already done, all I have to do is make some cabinets, frame the bed, wire solar, solar charger, house batteries, and add the 30gal water tank, and run those lines.. Quick easy work.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #20

Pictures would help, but I think you're in a really tricky spot here with so many miles and that huge 8" lift.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote