Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #21

Awsome. More power to ya. Definitely get some photos up!

clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:25 PM   #22

Always nice to hear sound advice from So many SMB owners. Especially ones that have owned multiple rigs and taught me more than they will ever know.
Just by reading up.

40 hours? That's how much you will have into fixing what the prior builders shorted........ALL RV's And I mean ALL! Are "so so" builds.
Manufacturers and Upfitters like SMB, Provan Tigers, Earthroamers and more are sort of the exception. But still they built with inferior materials.
(Earthroamer I can't speak of, since I have never remodeled or altered one yet.)
But others. .........40 hrs, I think not.
I don't think that can even be close.....try 120. Seriously.

I am remodeling three Tigers....and a 06 Tiger CX 4wd duramax for myself.
I have 120 hours and I am still at a shell.
Granted it may be going to Alaska next year, full closed cell foam and thinsulate. And every modern affordable light weight update. That said. I am fast, efficient, tooled & skilled.
I am using modular cabinetry, 80/20 quick frame, EU grade marine hardwoods.
Modern mppt solar, modern insulation technology and more.
If you can whip out a SMB interior in 40 hrs.....you are hired. 😉
Even if you have CAD drawing already and will CNC the cabinets.
I am interested in hearing from you.

Feel free to PM for my cell.
I would love to hear about your ideas, I can show/ share some of mine.
I have a few that you may want to hear, or use. 👍
3-SMB's E250's, E350's - (SOLD)
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msanda View Post
All of that is already done, all I have to do is make some cabinets, frame the bed, wire solar, solar charger, house batteries, and add the 30gal water tank, and run those lines.. Quick easy work.
Oh, and run the DC and AC wire runs, outlets, inverter, battery box/tray, electrical panels, alternator tie in, ACR, lights, sink,water pump, water heater??, propane??, plumbing, holding tanks, cabin seating, heater and ducting??, interior framing, flooring??, trims, door panel mods, exterior lighting, rear area sound system, fridge, solar panel mounts, etc. Pretty much the basics.

Just to do the basics with a high level of craftsmanship, care and finish will be closer to a month between researching, ordering and waiting for parts, inevitable redo's, troubleshooting, and actual building.

I am questioning your grasp of what you think this is all about and what it really takes to do just one van with care and quality. Not hating, just a reality check.

This forum is full of really, really talented, experienced and giving people with a wide range of skills. Many of us are DIY builders because we want the best and we want a level of quality and integration not found in production builds. I certainly had a much greater appreciation after doing my own build for why these things cost what they do from Sportsmobile, Van Specialties, Tour Rig, etc.

Advice - Start a build thread and post lots of details of what you are doing. Pictures, explanations. Humbly ask some questions as you go. Layoff the predictions of how much time and money and what can I sell it for, you are not helping your cause nor credibility. Do one or two and show you can do it really well and you will have people knocking on your door AFTER you show what you can do.

Examples of build threads to Search for:
Hal the Van thread by WVvan
Popping my top thread by boywonder
Mgmetalworks threads
Rusty by 86 Scotty
And numerous other build threads

Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #24

Ha! I was going to let him go. I still think you guys are low. I say 200 or more for professional quality build.
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #25

Msanda throw some pics on here so we know your not a Russian agent tryin to start a political "offroad war"
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #26

I have been trying to post pictures, but I keep getting an error 404, or "you need permission from the admin to further this action" Ill just make a google gallery, and attach the link
Msanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #27

I'm a green-horn just wondering the definition on "long travel"? Thanks
SMB OCD is offline   Reply With Quote