Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #101
Site Team

Re: Look what just drove up in my driveway, it's Rusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
,,,Next, I got some 1.25" square tubing, about the same weight as Yakima bars, and took advantage of most of the holes left by the original rusty chrome roof rack I removed. I just fabbed up some L-brackets out of angle to give me a VERY low profile rack. I was shooting for as little height and wind noise as possible. Mission accomplished.
One thing to keep in mind is if the crossbars are too low, between the crossbar flex and the roof flex, the crossbars can rub on the roof and wear through the paint. This is fairly common on Excursions because Ford added very low crossbars so that it could (theoretically) fit under a garage door.

Herb

Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #102

Thanks Herb. No problem so far but I'll keep an eye on it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #103

Here's my battery box build for this van.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...125963#p125963

Old 04-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #104

ambient lighting experiment

viewtopic.php?p=127985#p127985

Old 04-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #105

ladder stove hanger experiment (not finished)

viewtopic.php?p=126570#p126570

Old 04-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #106

I finally got my raingutter rebuilt and painted. One of my biggest problems with Rusty, and largely where he got his name, was rust problems mostly underneath the van but several parts of the raingutter as well. It's like the PO just left it parked under a downspout because most of the problem seemed to be at the left rear corner. Anyway, I put this off and put it off. Here are some lousy pics of the problem before. The front corners above the windshield were really bad too, so I re-formed them. I had no choice but to lose a little of the original structure there.

I don't love bodywork, but after pricing this job done I thought I would just give it a go myself.

First I ground out a lot of the rusty metal and old seam sealer in the gutter and treated it with rust treatment. Then I just started forming it little by little with kitty hair fiberglass resin. I topped that off with body filler and after several go-overs I have a pretty good looking rain gutter. Buying high quality Dupont paint made the finished product look pretty good. It's not show-car perfect but would never catch your eye.

Nothing like putting a project you dread behind you.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:39 AM   #107

Wow, great job! Very impressive.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #108

I gotta admit, I was a bit worried about that rust when you first took on that rig... I am impressed!
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
I gotta admit, I was a bit worried about that rust when you first took on that rig... I am impressed!
So was I! Almost flipped it for that reason. Now I'm glad I didn't.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #110

The interior assault has begun. I decided to go with stained (polyurethane actually) birch ply as many have done lately. It looks somewhat retro but is real wood and looks much better than the pressboard stuff. I also badly wanted to pull up the flooring and pull the wall panels to add some things, and to see what was there. Luckily, I found no rust except for bolts.

I was pretty surprised to find that there was essentially NO insulation in my van. There is now. Basically, SMB (in 95) just used this blue foam stuff, about 3/4 for carpet padding and sound deadening in the walls. There were a total of 2 squares of insulation on the rear walls, one on each side, measuring about 24x24". That's it.

And even though I had no sign of mice, they had been there. 2 nests on the driver's side and one on the passenger side. Looked pretty old though. Now cleaned and gone. I didn't even realize the rig smelled, but it smells like new wood and carpet now, not old camper, which I'm starting to realize is the smell of mice nests.

Before the cleaning

After

Here's some pretty stained panels which I FINALLY got installed in the last day or two. I had to look at them for about a week before I could shore up everything behind them and move on.

After much deliberation my wife and I agreed on black carpet. Her problems (and mine really) with the pergo/wood flooring we did last van was that it's just too hard on the knees when accessing low cabinets and the fridge. We considered coin flooring and a Bedrug, but cost and ease of install means this happened. 1/2 rigid foam, 1/2 OSB SMB flooring re-used because it was in OK shape and no rot, residential carpet padding and Lowe's indoor/outdoor black carpet, plus Reflectix underneath the wall panels.

I hate the idea of black carpet really, but I plan to use some rugs/mats on the high wear areas (down the middle and galley). The biggest problem here is color coordination to match the stained birch and the original SMB curtains and trim, which is gray AND tan in different places. I sure miss my simple solid gray 2002 interior sometimes!

The doghouse and cab area are really insulated well now and I added trays today under the front seats. Bullet lights are now black too, as are the curtain slides and hardware. Yippee!

I prewired for solar while I had the walls out, as well as adding switches and 2 outside lights (one on each side), prewired for sub amp, and added the outside shower too. This weekend I'm planning to get the plumbing and electrical sorted out and be building cabinets by early next week. Big trip coming up in a month, gotta stay busy!