Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #131

Re: Look what just drove up in my driveway, it's Rusty!

Looking good.

shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #132

LED porch light upgrade..........

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...130262#p130262

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #133

Man.... That all looks great. I am going to be so pinched for time now, I'm worried I won't take the time required to have a finished product like yours.

For the rubber trip (t molding maybe) how did you attach? Did you have to router a notch all the way around edge?

Where did you find the birch ply? I don't seem to see it at the local places.
2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:17 AM   #134

Freud 63-100 1/16-Inch Slot Cutter Set 9/16-Inch depth cut (1/4-Inch Shank) by Freud http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002TUCRA/ref ... Itb0D09R0M

Yes, route a groove all the way around. Home Depot here has 3/4 birch ply. I had to get the 1/4 inch birch ply for the walls from a specialty lumber place though, and it's $pendy.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #135

Cabinet update, and spoiler. I'm pretty much finished but haven't got 3 cabinet faces done so I'll hold off on final pics til then. I got done Friday midday, headed to work and then sped off Saturday morning for a shakedown camping trip. Met a friend and family and had an awesome weekend off grid. Everything worked great even in the rain, but of course the black carpet gets dirty instantly when kids and rain mix.

First, I finished my generator rack, modeled after my spare tire rack, which is modeled after the original SMB one bolted to the rear door, not a swingarm rack unfortunately.

I had to work this one out around the rear door handle, and more importantly the inner latch mechanism, so it is a little different looking but you can't see that with the rack and spare on.

Here's the super easy way to level your rack for mounting.

Scepter water cans fit my rack perfectly, but only standing up. I can flip one though to use it as a wash station, and am currently working on a spout setup now.

Field tested this weekend and worked great. Doesn't add as much weight to the swing of the rear door as you might think, and yes there is a large plate behind the inner bolts on each rack, so they aren't relying on sheet metal. The outside bolts go through the hinges, which are about 1/4 plate steel. The racks are stable and strong, but I won't be climbing on them.

I still have to put some sheet metal sides around the generator and it will resemble a closed box. And yes, my welding skills suck but nothing has ever broken. Close watchers will notice the cracked body filler just to the right of the spare tire rack on the left, at the edge of the door. This is where I patched an accident the PO had by backing the van into something and uglying up the door when the spare rack crunched it. When I torqued down on the bolts on that side the plate behind squeezed and cracked the body filler. It seems there's always something else to fix, but it is still strong.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #136

OK, so now for that cabinet update I was talking about...........

I got both sides of the rear finished.

Right side sized for grown up people and more clothes, and a cooler and big Rubbermaid bin below.

Left side sized for 2 kids and smaller clothes and less junk (yeah right), but as a bonus my Fantastic fan fit snug in the spot where you see it, so one less bulky thing to find a home for.

2.5 gal water cooler is more or less permanent and can be filled by opening up the left rear door, standing on bumper and dumping in water and ice.

Here's how snug the water cooler fits with the door closed. About 2" from the rear glass, but it's stable and won't move around. It is strapped and has a huge L bracket behind it keeping it from moving.

I set this van up with LOTS of 12 volt sockets for charging all our devices, etc, but also added USB/120 receptacles for when we power up the inverter or have shore power.

Last cabinet is coming together. Actually it is together but as stated above, the drawer faces aren't done.

I still have to build a matching door galley this week. Pics to follow.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #137

Really nice work Scotty!
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #138

THE VAN IS DONE!!!!! I just finally wrapped it up this week. I added a fence to the table so nothing will fly forward if kids are playing a game or whatever while we're driving.

The fence on the front is on small dowel pins so it can be removed and stored when we just want a flat table.

Next I added a backsplash to the galley cabinet, which I haven't shown yet so here she is. The first pic shows the backsplash, after that are pics from earlier this week.

And I went a different direction on the door galley. Instead of mounting mine on the door I basically rebuilt it the way SMB did mine originally, but I put it on heavy drawer slides where it can be easily lifted out and carried to a picnic table at camp, or just moved out of the way to open up door space. I've got to give credit to my wife for the drawer slide idea I couldn't decide how to mount it and she pulled that out of thin air.

Removable fence on the door galley too.

I put the handles low to make it easier to lift out from outside of the van.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #139

Looks great, congratulations.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #140

Your van looks awesome!