Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2014, 12:07 AM   #191

Re: Look what just drove up in my driveway, it's Rusty!

Such a good use of space! You are certainly cramming a lot of goodness into that RB. I was just perusing your old van thread as I gather ideas for our next build and it is cool to see the progress/refinements coming via Rusty.

I am not sure if I will have the room to do on board air this time around, but just seeing your air hose so conveniently chucked off your bumpers may make be so some more searching for space!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #192

Thanks Josh! Onboard air is almost a novelty as I've never aired down for off-roading, but I love having it just for the self sufficiency and ability to clean stuff.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #193

Looks good! How much you charge to install one on mine? Could of used one this weekend to blow mud off of shoes.....
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralite
Looks good! How much you charge to install one on mine? Could of used one this weekend to blow mud off of shoes.....
Glad to help, let's talk here Yes, this setup will be awesome for maintaining my sanity on bad weather trips, or at the beach, etc. Also, had a flat on my Jeep the other day (slow leaking tire I already had fixed once). It was awesome to just drive the van over where the Jeep was (further than my shop air hose would reach) and air it back up without dragging anything out. It's paying for itself already!

Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #195

Is your tank pressure maybe too close to the safety relief pressure? Is your tank pressure switch (not the popoff) being affected by movement of the van? Does the tank popoff open when the compressor isn't powered on? (Powered on, not necessarily running)
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs
Is your tank pressure maybe too close to the safety relief pressure? Is your tank pressure switch (not the popoff) being affected by movement of the van? Does the tank popoff open when the compressor isn't powered on? (Powered on, not necessarily running)
I haven't updated but pretty sure I've figured out the problem. The relief valve is interfering with the body above it. I thought I had good clearance but don't. It's barely touching a corner of the body under there and when the van flexes it relieves pressure. I need to drop the tank and cut a little or maybe just wack that interfering body panel with a sledge a few times. I'm almost positive a dent there would move the metal out of the way enough. To clarify, it's NOT hitting the floor. It's hitting that hollow reinforcing piece that goes across the rear right above the bumper mounts, seen here:

Hindsight being 20/20 I should've built the rack about 1" taller and wouldn't have this problem.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #197

No worries, it should still be a straightforward fix....can you use some sort of spacer to space your existing frame down?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #198

Probably. It's really tight to get to the bolts that hold this rack in place. I will probably get to it on a nice warm day, which means I may just live with it awhile. I don't need air that often anyway, and I can just idle for a second and charge it up before I park where I might need it, like a campsite for instance.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #199

Solar. Been waiting on this for a long time. First, I recently took an overnight trip to visit family and it dropped down in the 20's. I was not in the van that night and left it unplugged. Had I been home it would've been plugged in as usual. Anyway, with nothing using power that night (I doubt if my fridge cycled on more than once or twice with it that cold out) my batteries dropped to about 10.5 So, they're more or less toast. I found a great deal on some Deka group 31 AGMs and very happy to say I have fresh batteries for the first time with this van! I'm anxious to see how well they do. About this same time I started mounting my solar panel. I went with this starter kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-100W-Mono- ... y+100+watt

It was silver so I masked it off and painted it black before mounting. I was able to drill all holes outside of the roof canvas. I drilled 4 for the front brackets, 2 for wires and was able to tack the rear brackets on to the existing penthouse front bolts, the ones for the front latches were spaced almost perfectly for this panel. When I redid my interior I prewired for solar with the wiring hidden behind the wall panels. No pic of much of the wiring but it's pretty standard, and hidden. I zip tied the wires from the panel to the overhead light wiring in the front left corner of the PH, and hid the rest, including fuse, under the upholstery by the left spring. Here's the layout under the front of the PH, sorry for the lousy pic.

Layout on top

And here's the PWM controller that came with the kit. I didn't mount it visibly for two reasons. First, there's no digital display and second I didn't want to mess up any cabinets since I hope to add a good MPPT someday, which I hope I can mount to up higher on a cabinet wall with my thermostat, etc. I am in the process of adding a digital ammeter and can't really figure out where yet without adding lots of wire.

For now

Can't wait to field test this setup!

Many thanks to Scalf77 for his wiki on solar power. It's very informative and gives a super easy wiring layout for anyone not sure they can do this themselves.

mediawiki/index.php?title=Solar_Power

Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #200

Very Nice van ! nice work!