Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #21

Re: Look what just drove up in my driveway, it's Rusty!

Friends that restore old mustangs boast about how well "rust bullet" and "pro 15" work for stopping all rust issues and easy to apply. The "rust bullet" product has a great web site and tutorials to view.
It might be just the thing to do, inexpensive and you can coat the whole underside.

Regardless of the issues with "RUSTY" I think it is a killer score.

Living vicariously while I am out of commission for a while.

Keep the posts coming.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #22

Sweet find. Was at the beach the last two weeks relaxing but not with the SMB. Had my propane grille with me and saw that the un painted metal nuts around the burner knobs started to rust. It does not take long for salt air to do its thing.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #23

Jeep..... Jeep.....Who's got a Jeep?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #24

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Sweet find. Was at the beach the last two weeks relaxing but not with the SMB. Had my propane grille with me and saw that the un painted metal nuts around the burner knobs started to rust. It does not take long for salt air to do its thing.
We live a half block from the beach - the stainless flatware rusts in the drawer. Rust never sleeps!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
You might want to check out that drum brake hardware buried under that rusty wheel! I'll bet there isn't much left of those return springs, and I'd be even more surprised if the adjuster still turns. You might just find yourself some extra braking power trapped within all that rust!
I plan to soon, but the brakes were all done about a year ago. This thing has had a good bit of maintenance done. I was just looking through records today. It's had a steering box, brakes and all tune up stuff within the last year. Then it sat in a field for a year, hence the cobwebs etc. under the hubcaps. It's also just had tires. AC wasn't blowing cold when I picked it up so I headed to the store and got 3 cans of freon, one oil and one leak seal. Ice cold air front and rear since then.

In other news, I did a lot of cleaning on it today. I'm almost positive that no one had EVER cleaned the inside of the windows. I uncovered the batteries too. Nice Carquest Nautilus group 27 deep cells, 2 of em, with Dec. 2002 stickers on them and about a golf ball size wad of corrosion on each terminal. They are under the passenger bench but will be rerouted to the frame very soon.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #26

OK, so what do you guys think I need to look closely at under a 1995 Quigley with only 21K miles? I'm noob on 4x4 stuff, but can tell you this thing rides a lot better than my 2002 2wd, and tons better than my 1992 Chateau did. I'm soon going to purchase a sandblaster to start cleaning up the surface rust underneath and see what needs to be replaced, but everything works great! Should I worry about axle fluids, u-joints, plugs etc. on a 21K van? I'm not sure what to look for 4x4 specific. I will be doing coolant, tranny fluid and other fluids before I put many miles on it. It was checked out by a mechanic who I spoke to personally. He said other than the rust under it (mostly just surface rust) mechanically it looked and felt pretty good. I may just be a little paranoid because I know from experience a vehicle which has sat is almost always worse than one that has been used a lot, regardless of miles. I'm kind of unsure what might need to be replaced just from sitting.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
OK, so what do you guys think I need to look closely at under a 1995 Quigley with only 21K miles? I'm noob on 4x4 stuff, but can tell you this thing rides a lot better than my 2002 2wd, and tons better than my 1992 Chateau did. I'm soon going to purchase a sandblaster to start cleaning up the surface rust underneath and see what needs to be replaced, but everything works great! Should I worry about axle fluids, u-joints, plugs etc. on a 21K van? I'm not sure what to look for 4x4 specific. I will be doing coolant, tranny fluid and other fluids before I put many miles on it. It was checked out by a mechanic who I spoke to personally. He said other than the rust under it (mostly just surface rust) mechanically it looked and felt pretty good. I may just be a little paranoid because I know from experience a vehicle which has sat is almost always worse than one that has been used a lot, regardless of miles. I'm kind of unsure what might need to be replaced just from sitting.

I'd do all the fluids, for a start. Brake fluid and coolant are way out of date. An oil analysis on the drained engine oil (if you haven't already changed it) might not hurt, either -- just to make sure it wasn't sitting all that time with bad oil etching surfaces in the engine, no partial seizure that loosened up when it was started, etc. Any strange oil analysis readings you should investigate further, otherwise it will help your peace of mind if it comes back good.

Drain and flush fuel tank probably a good idea, as well, make sure no rust, flakes, etc. in the tank.

After that, take a close look at any rubber parts -- bushings, belts, hoses, etc. They can harden up over time, especially with no use.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #28

Do the plug wires too. They are no doubt hard and cracking from age. Don't go cheap on those. I really like the Napa Belden Edge wires. They are almost double the other brands, but they actually fit right like OEM wires, but are more flexible and have better conductivity. Most aftermarket wire sets only fit "close enough".
Old 01-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #29

It's about to start updating this thread again. Rusty has sat idle for a couple of months but now my schedule and funds have somewhat opened up. The door panels were hideous, especially the front ones. I never have been crazy about the older style Ford door panels, and SMB made them even uglier, so out they all came. I scored a set of OEM tan panels off a 2001 van that are MUCH better looking, and now the dash, panels, seat belts, etc. all match. I am in the process of repainting the top half of the side and rear panels. I wanted to use them since they have the curtains molded in.
Here's the old:

and the new:

They match, it just doesn't look like it in that pic at all.

I've got paint and body work on the rain gutters lined up this week, then I can start on sandblasting the rust spots underneath.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #30

Looks great bud!
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote