Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #31

Re: Look what just drove up in my driveway, it's Rusty!

Are the door panels from later model years a direct replacement for the earlier models? That panel looks great, but it looks like the power window controls are in a different location. I have the same panels that you took out and I'm missing some of the trim for the grab handle. Replacing them for something a little nicer would be awesome. Did everything fit/reach ok?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Are the door panels from later model years a direct replacement for the earlier models? That panel looks great, but it looks like the power window controls are in a different location. I have the same panels that you took out and I'm missing some of the trim for the grab handle. Replacing them for something a little nicer would be awesome. Did everything fit/reach ok?
Yes, they are a direct replacement, with only a couple of minor tweaks. If you have power windows, the switches themselves are the same and will screw right in to the switch housings of the newer panels. The power mirror control, if you have them, is not the same. Different switch, different plug. I played with sorting out the wiring to use the newer style switch (already in the panel), but gave up quickly and just trimmed the new panel housing for the old switch to fit in the new panel. IF you have manual windows I have no idea how things would work out. The crank locations could be totally different.
That's about it, except for cutting off one of the plastic hooks on the newer panel to fit in the old door. The newer panels have a series of hooks that hold the panel on, they slide in to holes on the door and the whole panel drops down about an inch in to place. There is one of these on the rear of the panel about halfway up that there is no hole for on the older doors.
Everything else fits easily. It took me about an hour to swap my older panels for the new ones (except for the power mirror switch adventure).
Hope that helps. I could snap some pics for anyone who is thinking of doing this.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #33

Thanks for the info! I don't have power mirrors, so that wont be an issue. I guess its time for me to start looking for some panels!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #34

Good luck finding a set! It took me awhile. If you have a gray interior or want one they are plentiful and you can just piece a set together over time. I don't think they fade as much either. I needed tan to match my doghouse and dash. In my experience the tan/beige interior vans are about 1 in 100 gray ones. I really lucked out in finding a complete matching set and the seller basically could have named any price, but luckily he gave me a great deal.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #35

I know my dash is a dark grey color, but not sure what color my dog house is. The rest of my interior is TEAL.

What are you doing with your old panels? If you are tossing them, I would be interested in buying the little trim pieces for the grab handle. A few of mine are broken and I don't know where I would be able to find them.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
I know my dash is a dark grey color, but not sure what color my dog house is. The rest of my interior is TEAL.

What are you doing with your old panels? If you are tossing them, I would be interested in buying the little trim pieces for the grab handle. A few of mine are broken and I don't know where I would be able to find them.
Yep, SMB is famous for changing that stuff around. I'd like to know what they did with all of the original panels that came in the van! They looked a lot better than the 80's stuff they were putting in vans in the 90's. BTW, your color (dark gray) is rare IMO. I have seen them, but just a few. Can you shoot a pic of the parts you are looking for? Glad to help if I can.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #37

Rusty's rehab............continued.

I've taken a break from the interior for awhile to get the underside back in shape. I had a great and informative talk with Ramsey (BajaSportsmobile) yesterday and got him some pics to prepare my Fox Quigley suspension upgrade, so I will be getting new shocks, springs, stabilizer, etc. Woohoo!
I have decided to stay with the Quigley original height (which I think is a 4" lift) and probably 285s. I really think that is all I will need for my purposes and the Fox upgrade should make it a fairly capable machine.

Also, as posted in another thread, my fuel tank leak was a quick fix for now. Sandblasting underneath this van has been messy, but it's not really as bad under there as I thought. It's the thin metal that took a beating mostly, aux fuel tank straps, exhaust heat shields, etc.

Here's the rear tank partially dropped:

A big problem with these older Transferflow tanks is that they come all the way back to the bumper, which makes putting a receiver hitch on them nearly impossible. I'm going to attempt to move it forward but I have to leave a little room between it and the rear dif and there's not a lot of space there.

Here's the cleaned up and undercoated tank and one wheel well mostly done. I'm still going to clean up more and spray something on the frame.

More to come...........
Old 01-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #38
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Eric, nice project you've got going on! The fox shock upgrade will be a huge improvement. What about the rear spring pack, deavers? Also, check quigley's torque arms for cracks, prob will be fine with the low mi. but they put out a service bulletin on those square tubes years ago and have a round upper/lower bar replacement available, I went with CCV's adjustable/rebuildable replacements, very well built. By the way, what started out as just wanting to replace our canvas with Derek's insulated version to replacing it with his complete low profile top, has now turned into replacing it with his new high profile pop top with a custom full wrap rack! Oh boy! Couldn't pass up the interior space that thing provides, storage and convenience of leaving the bedding up there. That's what you get when you bring the wife to see the options! I'll post up progress, not starting for a few months.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #39

Cool Ref, thanks! You'll love what CCV does in terms of space. It'll be nice.

I'm familiar with Deavers, but have to take my time here. For now I'm staying with this spring pack and adding my Sportrite Airbags for heavy loads only, but first I will see how it sits and rides without those. Derek's front control arms are wicked too but will have to be later. I have an interior to do too so getting it rolling is the first order of business.

Keep us posted on your progress with the top!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #40

Van looks great bro, keep the pics coming.....
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote