Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #51

Re: Look what just drove up in my driveway, it's Rusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltownbikes
Scotty - what are you doing for the underside rust? We have a new-to-us 2001 Quigley 15 passenger. The body is nearly perfect - but there is a lot of surface rust underneath. I'm thinking brushing/wheeling followed by ospho and then chassis paint (spray). Finally a coating of fluid film or waxoyl. No "undercoating". There's a million ways to go about it, but yours looks nice - just curious.

Thanks - good day. Bob
Thanks Bob. Here's what I did. I bought a cheap sandblaster setup from Tractor Supply and have been mixing Black Diamond abrasive with play sand. I'm working on gravel under a carport in my back yard because this is a huge mess. Working on gravel and using lots of cardboard seem to minimize the mess. You use lots of cardboard folded out to catch and recycle your abrasive (through metal screen). I am not sandblasting down to completely bare metal, just blowing the scale and crap off and getting it fairly clean, then spraying and brushing down with Permatex rust treatment.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HB ... UTF8&psc=1

I've never used this stuff before but it turns a mildly rusty surface in to a hard black, somewhat primed surface. I suppose it's about the same compound as POR-15 or Ospho, which I was going to order but this stuff is cheap and I thought I would be using a ton. It turns out it really goes a long way. I'm going to have pretty much every surface under the van coated with about approx. two bottles. Next I am using rattle can primer and then a top coat of flat black on all suspension parts and Permatex cheap black rubber undercoating on every sheet metal surface under the van including frame and fender wells. I don't like undercoat either but it works well and you can get a case of the stuff for around $50. I have used almost a case. It sprays far and thick and is easy to get in all of the crevices under the van, after spending tons of time with an air gun getting all of the sand cleaned up. Lots of masking and taping is required, as well as a respirator and a disposable jumpsuit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3V ... UTF8&psc=1

I am replacing the suspension and exhaust while under the van and will post some better pics of the finished product. I have been very impressed with how well it has cleaned up. The pics I have shown so far show wet paint and undercoat which looks like grease or oil, but it is not. I will be cleaning up around the ball joints, etc. better also before I am done.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #52

Great job!

I sometimes miss the 460 in our first van (1988). That thing had some great power.

Curious if you installed the truckfridge yet? I'm Looking at getting that model to replace a crappy norcold I yanked out.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupaddler
Curious if you installed the truckfridge yet? I'm Looking at getting that model to replace a crappy norcold I yanked out.
Funny, I was looking at those fridges last year but came on a deal for a 63qt ARB that I couldn't pass. Then I saw this post with the T130 and within a day sold the ARB and bought the same fridge

As much as I liked the ARB, the front door will work better for my built.

Thanks anyway for posting the fridge picture, it solved the problem I had to find a good spot for my fridge!

Cheers
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupaddler
Great job!

I sometimes miss the 460 in our first van (1988). That thing had some great power.

Not yet, though the suspense is killing me. Hoping to start the interior in the next couple weeks.
First I've got to do a full tune up, going ahead with radiator, hoses, all regular tuneup stuff, new exhaust and Fox setup from AgileOffroad. Then the interior assault will begin!

I'll give a report on the fridge as soon as I have a chance to throw it in there.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #55

We have the same fridge, but with an 'Isotherm' sticker on it. Every time we go camp, my wife always mentions that if ever do another van that it must have a fridge that size... any smaller just will not do!

Hope your mechanical tuneup goes well and you don't come across too many challenging fasteners!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
We have the same fridge, but with an 'Isotherm' sticker on it. Every time we go camp, my wife always mentions that if ever do another van that it must have a fridge that size... any smaller just will not do!

Hope your mechanical tuneup goes well and you don't come across too many challenging fasteners!
Thanks Rockbender. Me too but it looks good under the hood, and I've adopted the habit of presoaking everything I own with PB Blaster a day or two in advance. The only thing iffy under the hood on this van are the freon lines.

Agreed on fridge. The bigger the better.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #57

Garage

you will like it very much.

Love ours. we run it 24/7, since september
pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #58

Cool stuff keeps showing up!

Big box from Aluminess today!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #59

I had a productive day on Rusty. Aluminess nerf bars mounted. They said 2 people to mount them but a milk crate sufficed for a helper.

I'm really happy that things are starting to take shape

I think I'm gonna need some spacers!

Headed to the muffler shop in the morning to have the Banks system installed. I could do it myself but I want it perfect.

Then wheels and tires. I want to get these rusty steelies off there so bad I can taste it.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #60

Looking good. I like the color.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote