Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
The problem at the moment is Agile/Weldtec/others are not answering emails...understandably. Would go to themif they did.
Maybe try PM'ing them on facebook? Your emails might be getting spam filtered based on IP address. Or try a VPN with a US routing?

Old 03-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #22

Garage
Good idea. Will try.
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #23

Garage
JoeH, what do you mean band aid? The springs are negative. Are you saying add another leaf? won’t that just make it stiffer?
Old 03-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #24

Quote:
JoeH, what do you mean band aid? The springs are negative. Are you saying add another leaf? won’t that just make it stiffer?

I'm no expert but springs carry the load. Shocks dampen the movement. If the springs are flat, or played out, the shocks do what they can but all that energy is transferred to the body, frame, the seat, and spine. Shocks can only do so much.

Just my 2cents but the ford OEM springs that SMB left on the rear were not up to the task and the Old Man Emu springs on the front from ARB not much better.

edit to add: it also depends on what year you have. SMB eventually went to a local spring manufacturer. Betts I think. Many of us upgraded to Deavers.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #25

Garage
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but to help supplement weak Springs (as mentioned, freight would probably hit the wallet hard for new Springs) have you considered something like an Air Bag suspension?
I have Firestone's dash controlled system on the rear and use it for several applications (inflate to about 35-40psi when on washboards & they help absorb a little of the jarring, inflate to 60-70psi when on paved windy roads and they act like stabilizers, also adjust them accordingly to simply level out the Van when fully loaded). I love these things!
A good set of shocks help drastically & I'd suggest the Fox 2.0 Reservoir's since it sounds like you're off-pavement for extended periods

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/suspension-air-bags
Old 03-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #26

Garage
This is really interesting. I finally got through to Agile, and they have recommended the suspension for the rear of the van. They will not give any recommendation for the front, they say the only way to do the front suspension is to bring the van in for a week so that they can experiment to see what is best. Living in Belize that will not be possible. So I asked them for a starting point and I will do the fine tuning. They said they could not do that cause the possibility of a negative result is too great. What?

So where do I go or where do I start to upgrade the front suspension? Is it really that difficult? I am going with 4 Fox shocks from Agile, but how do I modify the leaf springs to improve suspension on the front?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #27

Agile, has taken three weeks to answer one of my questions, but they did come through.
Joe, Futrmobl
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #28

Garage
Under the circumstances, the length of time does not bother me, but the lack of a solution for the front suspension puzzles me.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #29

I keep seeing plenty of members saying Deaver springs on this site?
Hope this helps.
Joe Futrmbl
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
...So where do I go or where do I start to upgrade the front suspension? Is it really that difficult? I am going with 4 Fox shocks from Agile, but how do I modify the leaf springs to improve suspension on the front?
Not an ideal solution, but considering your current predicament (location), it may offer a measure of improvement that could satisfy your goal... ***Fox coil-over shocks*** ...would provide a level of improvement in supplementing your front leafs. I'd add limiting straps at the same time as a precaution.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/product-...ote-reservoir/