Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #1

Garage
Looking for suspension advice

I am looking to upgrade my suspension. I drive mostly dirt roads, with washboard, potholes and ruts, some rocky roads, and mud, some off-road. No racing or speed, just getting from one place to the next comfortably, often through jungle. I am looking at getting Fox 2.0 Performance Shocks front and rear. Am looking for confirmation that they are a good choice for my kind of driving, and which model is correct for a 2006 E350 4x4 with 4” lift. Thanks!

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:29 AM   #2

Garage
Can't give you a specific recommendation, but you might contact Agile Offroad or Weldtec Designs to get Fox shocks made for your van. You need to know the weight as well.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #3

Garage
Was really hoping for some advice from the forum on suspension. Being in Belize, it will have to be DIY.
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #4

I would recommend the Fox 2.0's hands down.

DIY or not though, that's who I would go to for your answer on size/part number. Michael (MGmetalworks/Expovans) also might have your answer. Any of the guys mentioned can get the shocks for you as well and they are all forum members as well.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

Yes, the Fox 2.0 is a good shock. I'd suggest opting for the adjustable compression damping (buy the wrench too!) if you don't want the pre-valved dampers from Agile. If you are on washboards for long periods of time, I'd even suggest the remote reservoir. This basically expands the oil volume so they won't overheat as fast, and have more surface area to dissipate heat. You'll need to measure the compressed and extended length of the shocks you have now, if you order direct from Fox (Agile has measurements for common conversions).

When you compare the Fox 2.0 to other premium monotubes, the primary advantage is the larger oil volume. Their valving isn't magical, and the factory-set valving has a lot of variation. It's something they are working on improving.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
MSD

Garage
What's already been said Fox 2.0 or 2.0 with remote reservoir.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #7

What 4x4 system do you have?
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #8

carringb, I assume you're recommending the single-adjustable low speed compression adjuster (CD or LSC) option and not the hi/low dual compression adjuster (DSC) option, correct? I've been trying to justify adding this option, as the price climbs quickly. I have triple-adjustable Penskes on my race car and love the adjustability, but this ain't no race car.

Would you recommend the CD adjuster front-only, or both front/rear? And if front-only, would you still recommend reservoir shocks in the rear?

I have no plans to do anything crazy offroad, but it would be nice to be able to cruise on a mildly rutted washboard gravel road without rattling my eyeballs out of their sockets or slowing to a crawl. I understand that tire pressure plays a big part, I just haven't had an opportunity to experiment with this because I don't have onboard air yet (PowerPlant 12 waiting for me to finish the bumper project).

As for valving, it seems reasonable that ordering shocks spec'd for a Super Duty would be a reasonable starting point--or does Fox not revalve based on application?
Old 03-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #9

If you haven't already, you might also consider getting a portable compressor and just airing down if you're spending most of your time on dirt/washboard roads.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
I am looking to upgrade my suspension. I drive mostly dirt roads, with washboard, potholes and ruts, some rocky roads, and mud, some off-road. No racing or speed, just getting from one place to the next comfortably, often through jungle. I am looking at getting Fox 2.0 Performance Shocks front and rear. Am looking for confirmation that they are a good choice for my kind of driving, and which model is correct for a 2006 E350 4x4 with 4” lift. Thanks!
Can't really make any recommendations without knowing who did your 4x4 conversion and what parts they used.