Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #71

Getting RIO on the salvage is an interesting project no matter how you look at it. I feel like you'd get a second donor van anyway. Perhaps one with a a dead drivetrain. That way you'd legitimately have another vin with a clean title to work with.

Scrapping the remaining body at the end may involve some cost...

Good luck with the insurance!! (In my experience you always end up loosing some in a situation like this. Find happiness in the fact that that the humans were OK in this case. The insurance is there to keep it from being a financially devastating moment, it never really covers everything....)

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #72

This is a great perspective. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
The insurance is there to keep it from being a financially devastating moment, it never really covers everything....)
Update: The title is being delivered directly to copart today and my settlement won't be released until copart confirms the vehicle. My next indication will probably be about the electronic fund transfer and by then copart will have started whatever their process is.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #73

Three errors on the copart listing:

Primary damage is to the REAR END. This was the concrete wall that stopped us.
Secondary damage is to the FRONT END. We kissed the wall as we spun around.
(Tertiary damage: the wave of impact buckling things after the rear end hit)
Drive: is Quigely 4x4.

Why yes, I'm having trouble letting go. Why do you ask?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.32.49 AM.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #74

The brothers Merritt definitely need to buy this. Red van gets a poptop, white vans gets a Quigley swap.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
The brothers Merritt definitely need to buy this. Red van gets a poptop, white vans gets a Quigley swap.
Haha, we definitely talked about it!
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #76

Case closed

Greetings folks. So I've the insurance settlement and am ready to move on.

Coparts will be doing their auction "whenever" but I no longer expect it quickly... the last word I heard is that it could take weeks for unknown reasons. I've had to move the process at every step of the way and figure that once my foot is off the gas it *will* take weeks.

Anyway, to close out the thread I thought some of you might be interested in how the insurance side of things worked out.

Every step of the way their default position position is to fall back on the VIN number and a low ball “kelly blue book” style valuation quote. I’ve seen this now from many multiple departments at My Insurer (State Farm) and the Shop Insurer (Nationwide). At each juncture a few things have been helpful:

a) my van was registered and insured as a motorhome. every single representative at state farm misses this the first time and i have to make them go re-read the initial contract; but once they have done so they stop arguing. i think the process would have been much more difficult without this.

b) nationwide was very helpful but they didn’t see/understand the van and didn’t have existing paperwork to fall back on. The “sportsmobile” and “quigley” branding turns out to be helpful here. They are unmistakable in photos and adjusters can relatively quickly turn these into search terms for comparable vans that are for sale. (NOTE: i gave up on getting nationwide to followthrough on this once State Farm offered a settlement. So despite Nationwide’s better communications they started to fall behind due to the lack of contract clearly indicating the motorhome status).

In recent discussion my state farm representative he confirmed the importance of keeping them clear on exactly what they are covering. He indicates that everything permanent is covered and that the more clarity i provide (see above) the easier the process will be. Exactly conforming to our experience. I will be specifically requesting stickers and branding on my next van even though my normal preference is to remove them.

I haven't made an insurance claim in a long while and never anything of this magnitude. I'm happy with my decision to "pay more" for good insurance and will insure my new van with state farm. (i may comparison shop at nationwide or others).

In the final tally they paid out a reasonable valuation for the vehicle. With Nationwide covering my deductible and some incidentals I consider myself "whole" financially. I *would not* have sold my vehicle for this price or at this time but I might have considered it next fall. So a fair price.

This entire experience has amounted to a magic fairy (evil? puck quality mischievousness at least) replacing our perfectly setup 2004 Ford Quigely 4x4 with a 2017 Sprinter 4x4 low roof crew van and no camper conversion. Oddly it has the Active Safety Plus package with all the safety bits and features and shoulder belts for 5. I can't imagine why that was our priority over camping comforts.

We are in the queue for a pop-top and conversion and I'll probably start a build thread to discuss ideas. Thanks for you're all's support during this!

RIP Vanimal.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #77

Garage
I've seen the fight with insurance companies about vehicle value happen too many times. My policy is currently with Safeco, and it is an "Agreed Value" policy. The declaration page specifically shows that agreed value. In the event of a loss, Safeco knows exactly what they have to pay. Easy-peesy.

In order to reach the agreed value, I submitted paperwork showing what I had paid for the van, what I have put into it to date, including the 4x4 conversion, and I provided further information on current market values. It was a bit of a paper chase, but not bad. One of the keys to success is to know what kind of paper will convince them, and another key to success, in this case, was that I put all of this in motion, and got them to agree to doing the agreed value policy before I bought the van--when they were still in sales mode, wanting to sell me an insurance policy. So--before I bought the van--I provided them with documentation of what I was going to pay for it, a list of planned improvements and associated costs, and the value that I would claim for the van at each point in the process of upgrading the van. They wanted to sell me a policy, so they agreed. And as the improvements have gone in, I have submitted receipts and requested the associated value increments, and they have approved them without any trouble.
Attached Images

Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #78

Pritikin: Thank you for sharing the experience. Interesting note about being registered as an RV. My van meets the CA criteria, and I've wondered if I should bother to change the registration, since I would save money on the weight fee. This may be another, better reason.

Glider: Did you put down numbers for your work as well? It's not like it would be fun to re-do all the conversions at once, even if it was fun to do them piece by piece the first time.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #79

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post

Glider: Did you put down numbers for your work as well? It's not like it would be fun to re-do all the conversions at once, even if it was fun to do them piece by piece the first time.
I was able to hit the values that I wanted to hit with a combination of receipts and market value information. That way, I avoided a conversation about the value of my own labor--which I knew might be more difficult for them to work with.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #80

Agreed value insurance should have some leeway anyway. As long as they believe I'm not likely to commit fraud, they shouldn't really have to care what the item is actually worth.

Though likely salvage values and the like probably do figure into premium calculations.