Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #11

After my recent balancing check, I re-torqued all of the lugs. Some were as low as 80 and none were above 110. Pretty sure 9/16-18 need to be 130-140

Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
The fact that two studs are still intact certainly makes it look like loose lug nuts, as those two look to have come completely off before the wheel broke the others totally off.

I carry, and use every so often (and especially after wheels have been off - as soon as I get home) a torque wrench and socket to check lug nuts. I recommend everyone do this.

Yep. Those two bent studs give it away. Those nuts were long gone before the rest sheared. Scary stuff.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritikin View Post
The spacers are "CorrectTrack" but beyond reading that off the original invoice I don't know anything about them. Looks like they've been on there for the life of the vehicle.
Those are the good ones.. and as long as torqued properly, won't be an issue.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #14

Wow! glad everyone is ok. Aluminum wheels rarely just 'explode'. I suspect the studs were overtorqued beyond yield, stretched, then 6 out of 8 failed. All of the commercial wheel spacers I've seen use a commercially made press-in wheel stud. No issue with the design. I hope you were insured.

For the sake of the rest of that shop's customers, I'd contact the shop that did the work, then, when the owner doesn't take your call, never calls you back, denies they ever touched your van, five minutes later the BAR in your area (sorry I sound so pessimistic, it's based on my personal experience with tire shops) . Shoddy workmanship, ask BBB and BAR, my guess is it's not the first time that shop has had trouble like this.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #15

dammmn, glad no one got hurt.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #16

Glad all are OK. We came across a loose wheel accident about 1 second after it happened and the driver of an oncoming car was killed as the wheel went through his windshield. Wheel was in an overloaded pick-up truck and fell out at x-way speeds. When we got on the seen the wheel was maybe 50 feet in the air after impacting the oncoming car. Pick-up got off at next toll gate and was never seen again. Toll was to grainy to get the white pick-up license number. Also when the wheel flashed by us going in the other direction we can vividly remember seeling the man's daughter standing up in the windshield hole, holding her head and obviously screaming. Grad it was only your van that got hurt.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #17

I have zero concerns about the shop. They have reacted exactly as one would hope -- expressing concern over injuries and immediately following up with their insurance information. Additionally the owner called me and requested photos to reinforce updated safety meetings with their staff.

Their current policy is hand torque and etc etc. but accidents do happen. Maybe somebody got distracted? They are handling it professionally and well.

- max

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
For the sake of the rest of that shop's customers, I'd contact the shop that did the work, then, when the owner doesn't take your call, never calls you back, denies they ever touched your van, five minutes later the BAR in your area (sorry I sound so pessimistic, it's based on my personal experience with tire shops) . Shoddy workmanship, ask BBB and BAR, my guess is it's not the first time that shop has had trouble like this.
Pritikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #18

Holy crap, another wheel flying off is beyond scary. I too intend to double check all my lug nuts with a torque wrench several times after having the wheels off for any reason. I'm happy to hear no one was hurt, best of luck getting back to normal.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #19

I've seen top-notch shops do things like this; in high school I briefly worked in a shop with an excellent reputation that specialized in high-end German cars. The mechanics were good but they were not infallible.

To be honest, I forgot to tighten lug nuts myself once. You can't torque the wheels in the air, intend to torque them all when they are on the ground, and forget in the haste of buttoning up and clean-up. A pre-printed checklist under the wipers is a good way to prevent a recurrence (tire pressure checked, lug nuts torqued).

My personal experience was that loose lugs took about 40 miles to show up as a shake. I immediately knew what happened and corrected it. Drive long enough, and it will shear the studs.

You are incredibly lucky to have done a 180 without rolling over. If you can call having a wheel come off at speed lucky. Don't buy a lottery ticket; I think you've used up all your good luck for the year.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #20

I am of course agonizing over this question: was there shaking or 'feel' I missed? Ultimately it's moot. If there was they were too subtle. Thankfully there are no injuries to add to the angst.

Luck, I bow before thee

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
loose lugs took about 40 miles to show up as a shake. I immediately knew what happened and corrected it. Drive long enough, and it will shear the studs.

You are incredibly lucky to have done a 180 without rolling over. If you can call having a wheel come off at speed lucky. Don't buy a lottery ticket; I think you've used up all your good luck for the year.
Pritikin is offline   Reply With Quote