Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
Glider: Did you put down numbers for your work as well? It's not like it would be fun to re-do all the conversions at once, even if it was fun to do them piece by piece the first time.
FYI - this was a large factor in our decision about going forward. I found I'm not actually interested in comparing vehicles, choices, weighing options or comparing layout choices in various used vehicles. It is all a "chore" now.

My choice to move to a new platform and start from scratch on an internal layout is probably as much a reaction to this as anything else. By focusing on my previously unmet idiosyncrasies I won't feel as much like I'm putting work into recreating what I had or settling for changes I didn't want.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #82
Site Team

Garage
Sure would be nice if you guys update the insurance thread sticky in the general sections. It's the kind of info the thread needs.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #83

I added a comment there with a pointer back to this thread and a more detailed discussion of my above 'experience' post.

See post #188 in the sticky insurance thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Sure would be nice if you guys update the insurance thread sticky in the general sections. It's the kind of info the thread needs.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #84
Site Team

Garage
Thanks. That's really good info. I just had my tires rotated yesterday. Before I drove off they had misplaced my wheel lock key which they found and returned to me. Then I gave them their 7/8 deep socket left on one on my lugs! Time to check the torque ya think?

Old 06-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #85

Had Americas Tire mount five KO2's American Eagle rims before the new owner departed. Specifically asked them to torque to rating rallypanam spec'd. They said corp policy is 140 ft lbs., no exceptions. New owner drove 200 miles and had them rechecked. All was good!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #86
Site Team

Garage
Well look what happened when they rotated the tires Monday. Man I asked them to look things over. I left out and kept hearing a new noise so today I found this.
Attached Thumbnails
sp5.jpg   sp3.jpg   sp2.jpg  

Old 06-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #87

Garage
Crazy! Didn't happen while you were driving? I can see where that happened on my van at one point before me owning it. Wondered how it went down. Seems like a competent mechanic would have noticed that....
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #88

Wow, I guess it's a unibody now.

I have learned that those hangers are wear items, but I really thought of that in terms of the bushings. Glad this didn't result in anything like the original post in this thread!

Though other than the rear axle steering, I'm not sure that this is that scary until the front also lets go, then it's really bad...

This obviously goes to show that all sorts of things can be missed, even when someone ostensibly takes a look at them.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #89

I just got notification that it sold.
Any of you all buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritikin View Post
FYI for all you vultures out there...
Looks like my van will eventually be eventually auctioned off here:
https://www.copart.com/lot/29721217/
Old 10-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #90

Wheel Off

Three weeks ago I lost the drivers side rear wheel just after entering the freeway going about 45 MPH. The wheel jumped the freeway barrier and hit four cars (The highway patrol said). Thank goodness no one was injured as far as I know. Cars were damaged. All eight lugs were sheared off with about 1/2 inch showing. The tires were recently rotated at an excellent mechanics shop. The conclusion from the way they were sheared was over-tightening. I was told 140 pounds is correct. Best
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote