Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 07:00 PM   #11

You might want to install a trans temp gauge. Or get a scan gauge and monitor the vitals, then go up that hill.
Information is power!

Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:29 AM   #12

You did not state what your temps were. Instal a mechanical trans temp and a water temp or more...
I have temperature gauges for Trans, water, Oil. Then I have oil pressure, Volt meter, boost meter, Tach, and EGT temp gauges. They were the first things I put in and a bigger deeper aluminum trans pan.
Next what is your gear ratio?
How much does the van weigh loaded. Important questions that need answers in arm chair diagnostics.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #13

Before you begin cutting out your catalytic (federal offence and they take it seriously) check the exhaust back pressure with a simple low pressure gauge, a piece of vacuum hose, and a threaded nipple. Drill and tap a small hole in the headpipe, install the nipple, and attach the gauge. Go climb the hill. Anything over 3 PSI and you are losing power. Found a baked potato that way once. i
campingunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:51 AM   #14

Skipperkins -- Can you post an update on diagnosing your power problem ? I'm sure multiple members would appreciate any info you've come up with. I also have a V10 - Thanks !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #15

Check your exhaust for leaks as well before the Cats. If you have slight pin holes or cracks the exhaust will siphon air and cause over heated cats which hinder performance as well. It will make the motor run hotter too. Vacum lines as well can cause unnoticeable issues at idle but huge problems at higher RPM's. I learned this on a Jeep.At my smog test it failed slightly. I threw $ tuned it up checked vacum lines and had a couple in question. I took it for a retest and tested worse. The tune up made it run better therefore exhaust ran more efficiently. I changed the single exhaust Cat (6cyl), Oxygen sensor, failed again. Finally I found pinhole leaks under the belly skid plate, I bought a new header pipe and and gasket. Took it back to smog the guy asked me what I did because not only did it pass it was well below the required restrictions and told me it ran really clean for it's age.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #16
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingunlimited View Post
Before you begin cutting out your catalytic (federal offence and they take it seriously) check the exhaust back pressure with a simple low pressure gauge, a piece of vacuum hose, and a threaded nipple. Drill and tap a small hole in the headpipe, install the nipple, and attach the gauge. Go climb the hill. Anything over 3 PSI and you are losing power. Found a baked potato that way once. i
This. Taking the cat out won't help if it's not plugged and may actually make things worse. It will also throw a CEL on newer vans with downstream O2 sensors. Plugged cats are pretty rare unless the engine's had a bad misfire for a long time (this melts the cat down.)