Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #1

Magruder corridor in Idaho - beta needed

(Sorry if this should have been posted in Meetups and Trip Reports, but it's not really a report )

Anyone driven this in their van want to give me a feel for the road itself?

From reading other (non SM) reports it sounds like a narrow road that can be hard on tires but otherwise not too technical... sounds like there are some side trips to some fire lookouts that are quite a bit more technical, we'd plan to skip those.

Considering doing this (with another couple in their pickup) in our EB Quigley 4x4 van with good E class 10 ply tires. Slightly concerned just because it's a 1994 and there are miles on everything but there are no known mechanical concerns just now so that's just me being nervous.

But I would love to know what to expect as far as the road itself, we've pushed the van pretty hard in the past (some runs in Moab during the Sportsmobile Rally days come to mind, like out over Hurrah Pass to Camelot) and discovered we DON'T like it, it's our "summer cabin" and I don't want to roll my summer cabin, for aggressive 4 wheeling I have an '85 4Runner, the SM is more for backroad cruising but sure would be a fun vehicle to have for a few days on this road.

Any input appreciated,

TIA.

-- Bass

basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #2

I have done the Magruder corridor on a BMW 650 GS. It was about a decade ago, but I remember the road being fairly passable. The road is really rough out to the lookout, but if I remember right, the rest should be vanable. It is pretty narrow and steep though. I am considering doing this in my van too, so I’m interested to hear if anything has changed in the last few years from others that have gone through more recently.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post
I have done the Magruder corridor on a BMW 650 GS. It was about a decade ago, but I remember the road being fairly passable. The road is really rough out to the lookout, but if I remember right, the rest should be vanable. It is pretty narrow and steep though. I am considering doing this in my van too, so I’m interested to hear if anything has changed in the last few years from others that have gone through more recently.

Thanks Mikerson, that's sort of the impression I got too, although everything was always smoother on my DRZ400S than in the van (fewer dishes rattling too!).

I will certainly post a trip report if we end up doing it.

-- Bass
Old 07-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #4

Garage
Bass, I'd suggest you give the Nez Perce/Clearwater NF for current road conditions. I think it's the Red River Ranger District, but not sure. The main route doesn't seem very demanding as a friend drove it two years ago in her Subaru Forester. It's also on my short list. On a side note, the Lolo Motorway (Forest Service Rd 500) follows the Lewis and Clark route from Mt to ID parallel to Hwy 12. It's slow and bumpy, but any midsized 4X4 should be able to handle it. Took me 2 1/2 days a couple years ago. If you're tempted, I suggest reading up on it's history to make it more interesting (It was the most challenging section for the Corps of Discovery). I posted some pictures of the route on my profile.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Bass, I'd suggest you give the Nez Perce/Clearwater NF for current road conditions. I think it's the Red River Ranger District, but not sure. The main route doesn't seem very demanding as a friend drove it two years ago in her Subaru Forester. It's also on my short list. On a side note, the Lolo Motorway (Forest Service Rd 500) follows the Lewis and Clark route from Mt to ID parallel to Hwy 12. It's slow and bumpy, but any midsized 4X4 should be able to handle it. Took me 2 1/2 days a couple years ago. If you're tempted, I suggest reading up on it's history to make it more interesting (It was the most challenging section for the Corps of Discovery). I posted some pictures of the route on my profile.

Thanks Steve C, appreciate the info, the fact a Forester did it makes me feel a little more comfortable (although they're sneaky those Subies, I see them at some ridiculous trailheads... like Hell Roaring).

I actually wasn't aware of the Lolo Motorway until I started reading about the Magruder, and read the trip report (from another "fire guy") about Lolo here:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...iew-17985.html

Sounds like the Lolo is a little rougher than the main Magruder, based on the picture in your profile labeled "One of the bumpier sections." if that's a rougher section of the Lolo than I won't be too concerned as that doesn't look like anything I'm not used to driving on other Idaho back roads. Was mostly concerned if my EB would have overhang issues, I see you have an RB but this kind of terrain doesn't seem to punish the longer vans too much.

Thanks for the input (our friends are checking with the Forest Service about road conditions, I'll give them the tip which district they should be trying).

-- Bass

-- Bass
Old 07-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #6

Here is a link to the current road status:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5158968.pdf

Here is a link to a brochure:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...m91_055707.pdf

This is in our "backyard" but we haven't traveled the Magruder yet... maybe later this summer. It just opened 2 weeks ago.

I have a similar impression from reading and videos:

Main route: not difficult, 4x4 may not even be needed if it is dry. However, it is definitely narrow in places with steep side slopes, and backing up can be a challenge when vehicles come from the other side. There is always a possibility that burned trees fall on the road and that someone will have to get it off the road to make it passable again.

Side roads: yes, certainly the road to the lookout seems rocky and more of a challenge.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
This is in our "backyard" but we haven't traveled the Magruder yet... maybe later this summer. It just opened 2 weeks ago.
I knew it opened late but didn't realize it wouldn't have opened until mid July. That probably increases the traffic a bit with how short the season is. Of course, anything that's high enough to not open until mid July makes me want to go more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
Main route: not difficult, 4x4 may not even be needed if it is dry. However, it is definitely narrow in places with steep side slopes, and backing up can be a challenge when vehicles come from the other side. There is always a possibility that burned trees fall on the road and that someone will have to get it off the road to make it passable again.
I would obviously pack my usual recovery gear and tools, but this would probably be first time chainsaw was part of my usual equipment pack!

Thanks.

-- Bass
Old 07-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #8

Garage
with all the recent fires, pine beetles, and crazy winds we seem to get more and more here in idaho, a chainsaw is a requirement here anymore.

camping last month a random storm, not seen on any forecasts prior to leaving cell service (not even 24 hours prior) popped up out of nowhere. trees started falling all around me. the top of a tree that appeared healthy had the top 10-12’ blow off and landed 10’ in front of our van. sideways rain, the whole gambit. before the storm it was hot and we were sitting in the creek to stay comfortable. after the little storm it was actually chilly. weather turns fast here. it’s nuts and still catches me off guard at times even after living here 50 years.

magruder area burned quite some time ago. I’d be willing to bet if you drive through there you will be utilizing your saw. whatever trees that are still standing are likely just barely doing so.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #9

The Magruder sounds delightful and i'm soooo jealous. I like the recommendation in the mileage table that "It is a good idea to pack a chain saw in case you encounter downed trees." I guess my Sven saw and Dads hatchet do not keep me quite as ready as I imagined
Old 07-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
with all the recent fires, pine beetles, and crazy winds we seem to get more and more here in idaho, a chainsaw is a requirement here anymore.
We got gusts of 55mph here in Hailey last week, that's the highest I've ever seen on my wind station... took quite a few healthy trees down not to mention some of the things that burned in Beaver Creek (our last type 1 incident).

I now mountain bike with a hand saw, guess it's the same as putting a chainsaw on the roof of the Sportsmobile.

-- Bass

Tags
eb350, idaho, magruder