Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: Manual Poptop

I first set the initial lift by cutting larger wood blocks. I then set my tension on the springs, by pulling them with a ratchet strap and resetting the S hook so that it popped up fairly easily after taking over from the pre load spring and larger block. I increased the spring tension a few times to get the lift just right without it being to much tension pulling it down. I set mine to favor going up by a bit.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #12

Thanks REF. Do you recall how thick your spacers were in the end? There are a few of us unsure of how thick we can go with the spacers before the bars no longer fit in the down position.

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I'm not positive, but I think they ended up to be around 2 1/2". That being said, also not sure if there would be a set standard for the block length. I ended up with my final block size by trial and error. The best thing to do is to take a look at your current blocks and cut and add several small 1/2"-3/4" pieces to the blocks that are there and lower and raise the top until you have the right combo, you will be able to tell you've got it too big if it is difficult to lower the top. Then cut your finished single piece to match the size and test that before you button everything back up. I then set the main spring, we have to pull it slightly to close the top all the way. Good luck, hope that helps. I would post pics, but I didn't take any, and I have no plans to open it back up...
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #14

Thanks!
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
I'm not positive, but I think they ended up to be around 2 1/2". That being said, also not sure if there would be a set standard for the block length. I ended up with my final block size by trial and error. The best thing to do is to take a look at your current blocks and cut and add several small 1/2"-3/4" pieces to the blocks that are there and lower and raise the top until you have the right combo, you will be able to tell you've got it too big if it is difficult to lower the top. Then cut your finished single piece to match the size and test that before you button everything back up. I then set the main spring, we have to pull it slightly to close the top all the way. Good luck, hope that helps. I would post pics, but I didn't take any, and I have no plans to open it back up...

Thanks for the info I will have to make a project out of it again. I already tightened the chain one link to make lifting easier and it looks like I need to go another link still. I didn't have the proper equipment and used just a basic ratchet strap and it bent the metal and I almost had to cut the ratchet strap loose to get it out. I have since bought a proper come along and will use this to go another link in the chain. I had no idea there was blocks behind the springs even though I took the springs out and put them back in. I will put everything on roof that I use (cargo basket, rocket box, possibly solar soon) and readjust.

Thanks for the info.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote