Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #1

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Measurements of metal gas can mount

I am looking for the dimensions, inside and out, of the military type gas can mount. Looks kinda like this from the side _l I can find the mounts but no measurements.

Thanks,

Keith

Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Measurements of metal gas can mount

Keith,

You talking about one of these holders? I can get some measurements, just let me know what you need. FYI, the ones I have will fit a Scepter MFC but it's a bit tight.
[thumbn70g27p]13060[/thumbn70g27p]

Herb
Old 02-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #3

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

Yes, that is the one. I have 2 Rotopax and I need to figure out something I can mount on the bumper that won't interfer with the door. I thought maybe I could modify one of these.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 02-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Interior dimensions are about 6 7/8" x 14 1/8", with the corners being fairly rounded and intruding into those dimensions. Hope that helps.

Not sure if all the holders are the same (believe mine are military surplus).

Herb
Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #5

Isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of the rotopax?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #6

Definitely is as far as how the are supposed to mount. I still may mount them on the door but suddenly I am sensitive to drilling more holes in the doors.

I got them basically because of the small size (2 gallons) which even my DW can handle if she had to.

We are planning another trip north, Invinuk or Homer - depends on how hungry I am for fish. That is why I started thinking about getting them out of the garage and onto the Sprinter.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Interior dimensions are about 6 7/8" x 14 1/8", with the corners being fairly rounded and intruding into those dimensions. Hope that helps.

Not sure if all the holders are the same (believe mine are military surplus).

Herb
Thanks Herb!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
Site Team

No problem.

As for mounting the Rotopax, I don't think the back panel of the military can holder goes up high enough for the Rotopax spindle, or whatever it's called, to go through the Rotopax fuel containers, but I can measure that height for you if you need it.

Herb
Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #9

I wasn't going to use the spindle. Just strap them in. But I maybe I'll have to carry them inside - if they don't stink or rig something over the spare. They aren't very heavy - 4 gallons of diesel.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #10

The rotopax are 13-1/2" wide and 3" deep so 2 should fit in the holder. Now to order a holder to play with.

Thanks all!