Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #1

Mechanic in Reno/Northern Nevada area

I'm trying to find a reliable mechanic for our '07 SMB Diesel in the Reno area. Not really that interested in Jones West Ford for a variety of reasons. Suggestions

cobblecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #2

Ford Dealer Locator

One way to locate Ford Dealers near you is to go to; https://www.fleet.ford.com/dealer_locators/default.asp . Enter your zip code and select "Business Preferred Network - Service Centers". You'll get a list of several dealers in your area. Fleet Dealers are usually better equipped to work on SMB's because they typically have more experience with diesel engines and are use to working with Ford vehicles that have been upfitted.

Good Luck!
John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #3

I am in Incline Village, on the North end of Lake Tahoe, about 40 minutes from Reno. I have also used Jones West Ford with mixed results. There is a service tech there that is a friend of a friend, and he tries to take good care of me. His name is Clint Bloodworth. He was out most of the summer with knee surgury, but he should be back now. I have not been to the Ford dealership in Carson so can't give a report on them. If you find someone you like let me know. For routine things like oil changes, tires, etc I use Reno Vulcanizing on Plumb. I have used them for 10 years since I moved West and have always been very pleased with them. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #4

I too have used Jones West Ford in Reno, but my results weren't mixed. They were constantly bad. I know, I know, if I wasn't happy, why did I go back. Long story that might be told over a campfire on a Forum outing....
Anyway, I've had some work done at the Ford dealership in Quincy and had pretty good luck. They are owned and run by Susanville Ford. So far I've been lucky and only needed minor warranty stuff, but they seem to know what they are doing.
I'd be interested in any good places in Reno too.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #5

I just used Folbeck, at 2305 Glendale Ave., for a basic maintenance, and I am very happy with the service. November or December will see a little more in-depth work, and I will certainly be using them again.
cobblecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #6

Bumping this thread: now also in Reno, NV and want a place that will service the Sportsmobile 4WD system, change the house battery, and basically do all the stuff that the Ford dealership wouldn't do anyway. So some place NOT a Ford dealership.

Any input?
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #7

T&A at 525 Spice Island Drive, in Sparks. (775) 358-5549 They are very familiar with SMBs and do good work.
Not cheap. Shop rate is $130 for work on vans. I understand work taking longer as engine work on vans is so difficult, but upping the shop rate too?
Whatever, it's the best place I've found in the Reno area. Mechanic Tim knows his 6.0s and the whole drive train.
Check out their website - T & A Performance Sparks, NV | Diesel/Gas repair service, maintenance.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter View Post
T&A at 525 Spice Island Drive, in Sparks. (775) 358-5549

Thanks! The other recommendation I got was Folbeck, which is a general 4WD rock crawler place. My gut says they'd be fine for the 4WD components (hubs, gears, suspension) but not great on the 6.0 stuff. I'll call Folbeck and see what their shop prices are; if they're lower, I may go with them as I have a bunch of stuff that shouldn't go at $130/hour, like replacing the house battery, starter batteries.

If I do go that way, I'll post back here how my experience was.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #9

I had Folbeck do some work years ago. They were OK.
I was just impressed with T&A, 'cept for the shop rate. If I was going to have them do stuff like you mentioned, I'd talk to them about the rate. Maybe they'll knock it back for standard stuff??

I'll be in town next week and plan on stopping by there to discuss some things and I'll bounce it off of them.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 11-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #10

Garage
T&A Performance. They have 2-3 sportsmobiles in the shop (including ours). Will be having them completely proof the 6.0 so it doesn't break down in the middle of BFE.
https://www.facebook.com/tandperformance/