Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #11
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Bronco hit it on the head me thinks! Everybody's about money, themselves, and more money for themselves....I think it might be time to get in the van and go "Live down by the river."...for good!

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #12

This is what mine looked like after loosing a wheel. All 8 lugs sheared off 100 miles after buying new tire. Tire shop insurance took care of it for about 70k. SMB had to take interior out, then to body shop to fix then back to SMB to have interior put back in. Took almost 2 years but no vermin (lawyers) involved. Guess I got lucky or maybe it was the way my cousin Vinny asked them, but it's all good now.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
That's nuts!

Another banner day for our out-of-control society.

...its like the movie idiocracy is playing out right in front of us. just asinine.

seems to me is would be the nail in the coffin for this business. I know for a fact I would never take anything there again even if I was a loyal customer and nothing bad had happened up until this case. basically they are telling you that hey, we may have fuct up, but there's no way we are going to held liable for it.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #14

Garage
This must apply to a certain NC Ford mechanic also.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4041.jpg   IMG_4042.jpg   IMG_4043.jpg  
Shyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:10 AM   #15

Garage
Yeah, I don't go anywhere after having a shop do something with my tires that I don't check the lug nuts before I leave. For that matter, if it is a rotation, TPMS reset too.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #16

Wow... I typically rotate tires myself (when you own three lifts, you have little excuse to pay to have that done...). It does seem odd using a torque wrench isn't standard practice by most shops. Even when I was forced to have some tires replaced at a Walmart it the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, I watched the service manager torque the lug nuts. She put enough force to rock the truck 8 times on each side, but the lug nuts on a Cummins 4x4 need something like 150 ft. lbs.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Factory spec on the E250's & above should be @140 ft/lbs.

I use just a touch of "light machine oil" (aka 3-in-1 ) on the stud threads to slow down the rust. Of course I'm running stock steel wheels and always have the wheel covers in place too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #18

Actually if you read the appeal, there are a couple of things that are interesting. The appeal is not about the owner of the car, but instead it was about her passenger. From all account the dealership acknowledged their negligence, the mechanic admitted the lugs were hand tighten and he had forgot to use the air gun.

This appeal was for a suit brought on by the passenger, originally for negligence for injuries that he experienced in the accident. Latter his attorneys amended the complaint to include the Motor Vehicle Service and Repair Act (MVSRA). The key point of using this was that it would enable the plaintiff to recoup attorney fees and legal cost. The plaintiff was awarded $40,000 for the negligence, and an additional $70,000 for attorney fees and costs in excess of $70,000 based on defendants’ violation of MVSRA.

The dealership appealed the use of the MVSRA in the case. To be clear the intent of the MVSRA was written to protect the consumer from getting charged for services that the dealer did not provide. The dealership appealed it on the grounds that the defendant was not the customer in the transaction, and that they did perform the tire rotation, although they admit it was done incorrectly.

The appellate court disagreed with not being the customer, but did agree that the section of the MVSRA used in this case did not state that the work needed to be performed correctly. Remember the intent of this law was for dealers charging for work not done.

The dealership did not appeal the $40,000 dollars awarded for their negligence, just the $70,000 in attorney fees.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
The dealership did not appeal the $40,000 dollars awarded for their negligence, just the $70,000 in attorney fees.

In my opinion, that right there is problem with this kind of thing.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #20

I just finished my coffee. I think I'll sue someone. I didn't burn myself spilling it or anything. Of course that would be too easy of a lawsuit. I'm just thinking of suing the coffee grower for not growing enough.

Where does it end?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote