Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #1

Garage
Megamat/Penthouse Question

Hi all. Will an Exped Megamat Duo 10M fit above a new Penthouse bed in an E350 when the poptop is down and it’s all squished together? Anybody got one/use one up top?

Megamat Duo 10 M | Exped USA

Old 05-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #2

Don't think so....4" is way more than the space in ours. Depending on the top you might get 1-3" max....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #3

I have 3 pop top vans. I have a 2" mattress topper in one bunk and no mattress topper in the other 2. In the other 2, there are roof support bulges that won't allow for storage of any additional mattress up there. Don't know if its because the van with the topper is a chevy and the other two are fords, but they are.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #4

I have 2 of the megamat 10's and I LOVE THEM!! Convinced a few friends to also purchase them...best night sleeping camping EVER!!!

You won't regret it if you camp often!
Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #5

Garage
I just watched the Videos associated with the mat, since its memory foam that squishes down pretty good (looks like you can easily get it to about 1 or 1.5 inches, I dont think you would have an issue if you left it up there and put the top down...just leave the air escape valve open.
I have an electric top, and we've left sleeping bags and some blankets up top without issue many times - cant imagine this pad would present a problem (but you'll want to inspect it closely the first time you try it for peace of mind). My only concern would be if its too wide and somehow gets caught in the cross bars.
Looks like a great product, and worst case scenario is you send it back (probably get stuck with a minimal amount of shipping costs)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #6

Garage
That Megamat looks sweet. I just ordered a similar Big Agnes set up and am hoping that I can store it up top as well. Got this pad because it's 40" wide, the same as the current Sportsmobile bunk mattress. https://www.bigagnes.com/Q-Core-SLX?size=19&custcol15=1 Also, splurged on the Big Agnes "Green Giant" pad cover that incorporates a thin layer of memory foam. Haven't received it yet, so can't comment on its comfort, but my wife sleeps for weeks on end on a different Big Agnes pad and loves it.
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:11 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks for your thoughts. Ya, I was thinking maybe it will fit deflated. And it is 40 inches wide, so should just fit that way, too. Sure would be easier than having to roll it up each time and then find a place to store it. And I’ve heard great things about the Megamat’s comfort. Guess we’ll see...
Old 05-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Hi all. Will an Exped Megamat Duo 10M fit above a new Penthouse bed in an E350 when the poptop is down and it’s all squished together? Anybody got one/use one up top?

Megamat Duo 10 M | Exped USA
Not a Megamat, but might be close enough? Just received my Big Agnes, so with the air mattress and the optional Giant Pad Cover (.75" memory foam) it fits. I aired them down folded them in half and put them on the front bed section and lowered the top. Seems to be plenty of room (and with some effort) one can still slide the bed platform a little between the rails and the top.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4186.JPG   IMG_4193.JPG  
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Not a Megamat, but might be close enough? Just received my Big Agnes, so with the air mattress and the optional Giant Pad Cover (.75" memory foam) it fits. I aired them down folded them in half and put them on the front bed section and lowered the top. Seems to be plenty of room (and with some effort) one can still slide the bed platform a little between the rails and the top.
Hey Steve, thanks a bunch for the pics. Looks like there’s just enough room up there to add something aired down. Perfect!

Tags
exped, megamat, penthouse, poptop