Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
lbp

daveb - thanks. I've used Fresh Cab and sonic emitters in my barn, but never sure how well they work as it's a big barn, but have had less issues with my tractor. Hadn't thought of the sonic emitters for the SMB, but perhaps I can find a way to use one.

lbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbp View Post
daveb - thanks. I've used Fresh Cab and sonic emitters in my barn, but never sure how well they work as it's a big barn, but have had less issues with my tractor. Hadn't thought of the sonic emitters for the SMB, but perhaps I can find a way to use one.

At least I didn't mind the smell of the fresh cab packs but other people might be as repelled as the mice. Being as they are called mice deterrents, they all probably work to a point but it also means they might not work at all in some circumstances such as flooding waters. I had a family in my van who decided to raid the TP. They decided to build their nest in front of my espar which didn't like the restriction and coded out. Critters made me sleep in a freezing van for a night.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #13

We found evidence of a mouse recently. It was our own fault for not cleaning out the van after a trip with all the crumbs and bits of food the youngins tend to drop in and around their car seats after the road trip home. I did a thorough cleaning then left a couple traps. Next day no more mouse.

I need to get under there now and figure out how it got in. I like the steel wool idea.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #14

I have been doing a bit of research on mice and vehicles.
Based on the evidence, I wrote down what I found so far.
Some of this is well known and not a surprise at all.
But there are also some things we like to believe help keep mice out, but they may not really help at all.

1. Leave no attractants in vehicle (no food, no nesting material (indeed toilet paper should be made inaccessible)). This not only applies to "parking" (remove all food and water from van), but also to camping (put all food and water away before you go to bed, make it hard to access, keep it in closed plastic boxes in cabinets)... the latter also makes it easy to know what is potentially exposed to mice should they have come in anyway... you know what is clean, you know what may not be clean.... this is important... about 20-30% of deer mice carry hanta virus...

2. Try to find out how/where they may enter and physically block potential entry points (note that steel wool is great for some spots, but may not work everywhere). Wire mesh and beefing up rubber strips may be needed in other places. I now also close the vents on the dashboard... I will work on the intake of the vents next summer.

3. Park/camp in open bare areas (e,g, bare ground, surfaced parking area) if you can. Vegetation and cover under or near the vehicle provides mice cover from predators and they are more likely to come close to the vehicle. But this is not achievable at all places we may want to camp.

4. There is talk about different scent treatments (e.g. peppermint oil) and high frequency devices inside vehicle, in engine compartment. But I have yet to find evidence that these things are effective at all.

5. Open hood after you arrive at camp site to let the engine cool more quickly. Especially in the fall and winter, the warm engine compartment is an attractant. Leaving the hood open at night can also help, though I typically close it before going to bed.

6. When you park, vacuum and clean everything... no crumbs. Do the same when you camp before going to bed, though it will likely be less thorough.

7. When parked for a longer time, the engine compartment itself can be an attractant (not because it stays warm for a long time, but mainly because there are lots of narrow places to hide and make nests). Chewing on wires and plastic happens, and this can result in severe damage. Perhaps fluids leaking from battery are also an attractant... clean battery (batteries) regularly.

8. Run the engine and drive the van regularly (perhaps at least every 1-2 weeks). The heat and noise tell them this is no place for them. This reduces the likelihood that there will be long term settlement of mice in the engine compartment and should damage have occurred, it may be limited rather than extensive.

9. When parked/camped I typically set a few traps in the van. They are baited with peanut butter. I know this is in conflict with leaving no food out, but it is a balance between having no attractants, and having a potential problem detected and dealt with quickly.

As long as we have vehicles and as long as we have rodents, it will always be a battle!

Let me know what you think...
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #15
lbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
At least I didn't mind the smell of the fresh cab packs but other people might be as repelled as the mice. Being as they are called mice deterrents, they all probably work to a point but it also means they might not work at all in some circumstances such as flooding waters. I had a family in my van who decided to raid the TP. They decided to build their nest in front of my espar which didn't like the restriction and coded out. Critters made me sleep in a freezing van for a night.
Yikes! Those are "cold" mice for doing that! Agree about the Fresh Cab. I don't mind, but my wife does, so will likely try them outside the van, on the wheels, etc.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #16
lbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogs View Post
We found evidence of a mouse recently. It was our own fault for not cleaning out the van after a trip with all the crumbs and bits of food the youngins tend to drop in and around their car seats after the road trip home. I did a thorough cleaning then left a couple traps. Next day no more mouse.

I need to get under there now and figure out how it got in. I like the steel wool idea.
Oogs - good to know about really cleaning the van! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #17
lbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
I have been doing a bit of research on mice and vehicles.
Based on the evidence, I wrote down what I found so far.
Some of this is well known and not a surprise at all.
But there are also some things we like to believe help keep mice out, but they may not really help at all.

1. Leave no attractants in vehicle (no food, no nesting material (indeed toilet paper should be made inaccessible)). This not only applies to "parking" (remove all food and water from van), but also to camping (put all food and water away before you go to bed, make it hard to access, keep it in closed plastic boxes in cabinets)... the latter also makes it easy to know what is potentially exposed to mice should they have come in anyway... you know what is clean, you know what may not be clean.... this is important... about 20-30% of deer mice carry hanta virus...

2. Try to find out how/where they may enter and physically block potential entry points (note that steel wool is great for some spots, but may not work everywhere). Wire mesh and beefing up rubber strips may be needed in other places. I now also close the vents on the dashboard... I will work on the intake of the vents next summer.

3. Park/camp in open bare areas (e,g, bare ground, surfaced parking area) if you can. Vegetation and cover under or near the vehicle provides mice cover from predators and they are more likely to come close to the vehicle. But this is not achievable at all places we may want to camp.

4. There is talk about different scent treatments (e.g. peppermint oil) inside vehicle, in engine compartment. But I have yet to find evidence that it is effective at all.

5. Open hood after you arrive at camp site to let the engine cool more quickly. Especially in the fall and winter, the warm engine compartment is an attractant. Leaving the hood open at night can also help, though I typically close it before going to bed.

6. When you park, vacuum and clean everything... no crumbs. Do the same when you camp before going to bed, though it will likely be less thorough.

7. When parked for a longer time, the engine compartment itself can be an attractant (not because it stays warm for a long time, but mainly because there are lots of narrow places to hide and make nests). Chewing on wires and plastic happens, and this can result in severe damage. Perhaps fluids leaking from battery are also an attractant... clean battery (batteries) regularly.

8. Run the engine and drive the van regularly (perhaps at least every 1-2 weeks). The heat and noise tell them this is no place for them. This reduces the likelihood that there will be long term settlement of mice in the engine compartment and should damage have occurred, it may be limited rather than extensive.

9. When parked/camped I typically set a few traps in the van. They are baited with peanut butter. I know this is in conflict with leaving no food out, but it is a balance between having no attractants, and having a potential problem detected and dealt with quickly.

As long as we have vehicles and as long as we have rodents, it will always be a battle!

Let me know what you think...
Wow - what a great list of things to do and keep track of! Your answer to my post is extremely helpful; I'll be printing it out to keep with all of our SMB materials. Really appreciate the time you took. Thank you so much!
lbp
Old 10-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #18
Site Team

Garage
Ive used those copper scratch pads because of the fear that steel wool might rust. Even with all the effort, mice still found a way in. Amazing what they can squeeze through.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #19

I just edited the list: I also could not find evidence that high frequency devices are effective in keeping mice away...
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #20

BTW: Ive used the irish spring for raccoons too!
jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice, storage