Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
lbp

Mice and storing SMB

Hello - we are still awaiting our build from SMB West (we were in line before the change from Sportsmobile), and I'm wondering whether folks out there have any advice, or experience, with how to keep mice out of your van when it is either stored somewhere, or parked in your driveway. We live out in a rural area and have gotten mice in our cars before, even though we do have a paved driveway. The obvious I know (make sure there's no food in the van, etc.), but any other experiences / advice would be welcome. Thank you!

lbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #2

I've taken precautions, but sometimes I think just having predators around keeps them away. Around me, a few roaming cats seem to keep the mice away.
That said, I will stuff steel wool in the exhaust as well as dryer sheets placed in various parts of the vehicle. I can't say for sure if those worked since I've also done absolutely nothing and haven't had mice in my cars/vans.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #3

Some people dispute whether peppermint oil works but a combination of pepper spray and peppermint oil in various parts of the engine compartment seem effective. Application monthly seems about right.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #4

Garage
Mind where the utility systems pass through from inside to outside the van.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #5
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
My wife grates Irish Spring soap (her family's secret mouse repellent) and puts it in little bags around/under Sporty...has worked well, but then again, have there ever been mice? Sporty is a Garage Princess and have never had any signs of infestation...is it the soap? I agree with her....just in case...lol
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbp View Post
Hello - we are still awaiting our build from SMB West (we were in line before the change from Sportsmobile), and I'm wondering whether folks out there have any advice, or experience, with how to keep mice out of your van when it is either stored somewhere, or parked in your driveway. We live out in a rural area and have gotten mice in our cars before, even though we do have a paved driveway. The obvious I know (make sure there's no food in the van, etc.), but any other experiences / advice would be welcome. Thank you!
Levitation
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
I have yet to find positive proof of any tactics that work for mice. You don't want something to die inside the walls much less in a trap if you don't check it on a regular basis so a repellent makes sense. I've used Fresh Cab and still do as well as dryer sheets but still had a few invasions during a couple of trips. A buddy has one of those sonic emitters but I don't know if it works. If one mouse gets in, they seem to leave a scent trail and then the door is open. It was so bad one time that I found a mouse in a cabinet that had a Fresh Cab pack in it. But if it even remotely works, I'd use any method to keep the odds more on my side.
Attached Thumbnails
mouse.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #8

Ive used the following:
Cats
Moth balls in engine compartment
Irish spring soap
Block tailpipe as suggested
Ultrasonics
Some good old fashioned Tom Cat

Also some Dry Rid inside for mold.
jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #9

Set up a water trap for them. They want/need water and they will go for that. You can to the rotating can water bucket trap or ramps up to a trip step baited with peanut butter. I guess if you can give them something more enticing than the van smells, they would go for it.

We are building a garage and I will put some LED strip lights on the floor that will come on at night to keep them from climbing up into the van. And I will leave the hood open too as that will keep them from nesting in the engine compartment.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #10
lbp

I heard about Irish Spring once before - might try that! Thanks.
lbp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice, storage