Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #21

Say hello when you pass through Vancouver! If you are okay with a dog, we have a spare bedroom at our place as well

Please note M+S or 3 peaked mountain snow flake tires are required by law until March 31 on certain mountain passes which you will likely need to use to get up to Fairbanks. They will turn you around if there is a check point.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...t-winter-tires

I would also recommend joining the 4 Wheel Drive Association BC, their FB group to get some local tips or even send out an SOS. A lot of friendly people that like to lend a hand if you are in a bind.

March is also prime time for avalanche season, be prepared to be stuck behind avalanche control. Check your route often, recommend you download the DriveBC app. It will notify you of all the road updates, http://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/

Old 02-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #22

Watch a few episodes of Highway Thru Hell to get a healthy respect for the BC mountain roads in winter!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #23

[QUOTE=Cyrull;246521

I would also recommend joining the 4 Wheel Drive Association BC, their FB group to get some local tips or even send out an SOS. A lot of friendly people that like to lend a hand if you are in a bind.[/QUOTE].

Yup, they are a great group if your in a bind. Folks will come out in a blizzard to pull you out of the ditch.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #24

If you need a place and a hot shower between Squaw and Shasta, we are in Loomis, which is on the way - about 1.5 hours from Squaw...toward Sacramento. Sounds like a great adventure!

And what a great year to ski the Sierras:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...226456305.html
Roamoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #25

I had a posi put in my last truck, a 2wd F250 7.3l Ford and it made a huge difference in drivability in marginal situations. I had an Eaton Detroit Truetrac put in. It is all gear drive no clutches so nothing to slip when you don't want it to.

Detroit Trutrac Differential, Helical Gear Limited Slip Differential - Vehicle - Eaton
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #26

Alaska Bound

Lots of excellent comments, especially from BrianW.

I drive the Alcan two or three times a year in a 2004 model 2500 Sprinter, winter and summer. Most recently last month. If the weather turns bad, you'll need studded snow tires or chains. Most of the time, however, the road is well plowed and maintained. If your rig has 400 mile legs, fuel will not be a problem.

At the time you're planning on driving, none of the roadhouses will be open. The most expensive place along the route will be Fort Nelson, if you come that way.

Expect to see all the big critters on the way up, many of which like to hang along or on the road. Watch out!

Enjoy the trip!

--
Curt
Anchorage, Alaska
charris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #27

Re: Window Screens

Note:

Regular window screening will keep out the mosquitoes but Will Not keep out the no see ums (vicious tiny, aggressive, blood thirsty biting bastards).

You’ll need to buy and use a finer mesh screen material like is used for tents to keep the no see ums at bay.

One easy design is to just lay the screen fabric over the outside of your windows when stopped (and before opening the windows up) and secure it to your rig by using thin flat strips of magnet “tape” to hold the screen tight against the window frame.

With push out windows, use an oversized piece of screen fabric, bunched up a bit at the bottom of the window frame, so there’s room to still push open the bottom of your windows.
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Here are some pics I didn't post above...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00747.jpg   DSC00693.jpg   fullsizeoutput_395.jpg   fullsizeoutput_7df.jpg   IMG_0092.jpg  

IMG_0830.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #29

I just had Weldtec in El Centro, CA install a two inch front end leveling kit on my 2WD Chevy Express last week along with some Fox shocks. I can't recommend them enough as the van rides really nice! I'm getting ready for the Spring/Summer RVing season.

I'm installing some Helwig helper springs tomorrow to help with the towing of travel trailer.

A limited slip is my next upgrade after the springs.

We spent a week fishing in Alaska and that was a blast! That was in 2014 and we're still eating fillets from that trip!

Have a safe trip.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #30

I'm getting excited! Scrambling to get everything done in time! This is all great advice. It's a no go on the limited slip, it seems my semi-float won't take the detroit truetrac.
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote