Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #1

moving van w penthouse up...

Hello,

Wondering what the knowledge is about moving the van w the Penthouse up? Say just in the driveway or into a shop from the driveway? Driving VERY slowly and cautiously.

I often have the Penthouse up in my shop for work/cleaning and want to move the van into the driveway for engine running or loading gear for a trip... in my mind it's not much different than a windy campsight.

Of course; all the caveats apply... damage from collision, moving on off-camber roads etc...

Thoughts

bhamBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #2

Garage
mines not a smb, but I’ve got countless miles moving around in the sticks upgrading camp spots and not “breaking” camp. i typically only do this for my wife when she’s having pain and can’t leave bed, but I have wandered around before just looking for a better spot. Just gotta he mindful of the items you mentioned along with tree branches, etc.

some people go insane trying to warm you that the tops up when you pass them, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #3

I saw someone driving down the street in san diego with their pop top up.

I can't imagine driving it slowly in and out of a driveway would do any harm.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:52 PM   #4

moving van w penthouse up...

I’ve moved my van a few times with the top up and it always feels sketchy. One time it did get a small bit bent. I don’t do it anymore (I’ve had two different SMBs with 12+ year’s experience owning them). My manual top takes literally seconds to put down and up so it’s not worth the risk to me.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:25 PM   #5

I wouldn't make a habit of it but I've moved mine around, very slowly, a few times to get more sun on the solar panels.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote