Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #1

MUD FLAPS

Hey all -
I decided to put mud flaps on my SMB because it was CAKED with mud from front to back. Did I say it was CAKED!!! I was on a wet dirt road in SE Oregon last week and OMG mud everywhere at least 1 inch think .... couldn't even see the access door for the water/propane propane heater vents were nowhere to be found.... just opening the door for egress / ingress was "a mess" ..... found a truck wash in Ontariuo, Oregon and got it cleaned for $15 bucks .... tipped them $60 - took an hour to clean altho we were bs-ing too ...

anyway, I had avoided mud flaps because I felt that hard-core off roading they would become a hindrance. However, most of my time in my SMB is driving non-rubicon kind of trails .... so I ordered Pro Flaps, which are thick heavy RUBBER but they will flex some .... not molded plastic. I ordered the ones for lifted trucks -

When I get them and if they fit I will take pics and post .... but I think it will be a good investment to protect body sides and rear from road gunk and debris.

warholic

warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

Re: MUD FLAPS

I am reworking my Flaps on Monday as long as nothing else comes up. I designed mine to go on and off quick as I don't like them when offroad. Alaska requires them to be whitin 15inches of the ground and to be effective they have to stop Spray so must be within about 10-12 inches of the tire. Due to this when backing the flap can be pushed agianst the tire and this can remove it rather quickly. I only run them on the rear. I will post pics.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #3

Here is a thread and install of harder removable rigid plastic mudflapsI did a month ago
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8300
They are holding up well even left them on driving on snowy logging roads and are holding up really well
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #4

bones -
would like to see pics for sure. I'm worried these flaps will be either too short or too long but they look like the best options out there for non-molded flaps. These particular ones are the 105 and 205 series made for lifted trucks. However, they have "mirrored finish stainless steel " weights at the bottom, which I didn't want for 2 reasons. First, I don't want mirrored finishes and second, I wanted to be able to trim the bottom a bit at a time if needed. I didn't get the flaps for non-lifted trucks, which don't have the weights on the bottom, because I think they look too short in length, maybe width and the shape is a bit off.

I have the bushmaster fender flares on my rig too, by the way.

Oh well, we shall see .....

For off-roading, I was going to just leave them and see how it goes. The flaps are thick rubber and do flex or give some, alhto the weights will hinder that.

I was surpirsed not to find any mention of this issue on the forum ..... the issue of mud flaps possibly causing problems when off-roading. But one muddy trail and it's all over .......... mud mud mud .... and what a mess to live with until you can clean it off.

warholic
Old 03-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #5

Kayaker - awesome !! .... clear mudflaps !!

here is the link to what I purchased https://proflaps.com/ford.php

Good to hear no problems with yours so far .... I think eventually if one does enough off-roading then a flap, hopefully not the bushwacker/fender well, will get bent, torn or otherwise messed up.

My Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 has stock plastic mud flaps and I did Engels Pass in Mojave .... that is a gnarly pass .... and I bottomed and scraped plenty of times ... those flaps didn't come off or get damaged.

Do you have any pics to post?

warholic
Old 03-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4kayaker
Here is a thread and install of harder removable rigid plastic mudflapsI did a month ago
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8300
They are holding up well even left them on driving on snowy logging roads and are holding up really well
How did they mount up? I'm with you, one less reason to get pulled over. I'm planning on a trip in a few weeks. Pics?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote