Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 01:29 AM   #31

Re: My Ford E350 is all over the road over 70mph - sway bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton47
The steering wheel is supposed to return back towards center when you turn left or right and it wouldn't.
There's no modern vehicle where that isn't the case. Even way back when, when vehicles that behaved like that were built and put into service, it was considered super sketchy. Any vehicle that doesn't mostly self center is almost certainly in need of something.

Quote:
So they swapped em out and it was a huge difference. I aired up my pressure to 75-80 and it drove great.
FWIW, I much prefer the handling on my van at higher pressures.

Yes, the van is no sports car (my daily driver is, or at least it is a very capable GT). However the van really does not have any inherent negative attributes.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #32

Make sure you have a proper alignment done as well. It made a huge difference in the handling and removal of wandering on my van.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #33

I quickly skimmed through the whole thread and didn't see anybody mention the steering box. The steering box can gain a lot of play over time and cause what you're talking about.
I would suggest checking the steering box and let us know. Sadly I don't have information on how to check the steering box but there is a way to adjust that if you investigate..
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #34

Recently my van was handling like crap, I'd say sloppy front end would about describe it. I figured it was because I hadn't driven it in a long time, so I assumed it was just a feel thing I'd lost. I wound up putting some different shocks on the front because I never really liked the rancho 9000s. I drove it away from the diesel place and the handling was tight and amazing (for a van) again. I had no other reason to suspect the shocks had gone bad.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #35

We jacked the front end up and moved the wheels and held the steering wheel tight and there wasn't any significant play in any of the components. And at the dealer they checked all that when they had it on the lift. They didn't say anything else was needed so heck, I dunno. But it's improved a ton!
clayton47 is offline   Reply With Quote