Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #11

Re: My new Promaster 3500, High Roof, Long body, Sportsmobil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt
Chance,
Promaster had a feature code to "Delete Spare Tire" that I was unable to get. I suspect it is part of the "Winnebago" feature and is generally not available. It is on the sales screen but doesn't seem to work when ordering from a Dodge dealer. I guess that is where Travato puts the Onan generator.
Yes, the Winnebago Travato does have the Onan gasoline generator behind the rear axle, where the spare normally stores. I've read guys doing their own conversions planning to relocate the spare to a rear door, much like traditional vans. Spares can also be relocated to hitch-supported mount. When Winnebago offers diesel Travato, I'm not sure how they will fit diesel generator, or if they'll go propane for diesel vans.

When I had an RV, or when I've rented for long trips with family, I've rarely used the generator except for short periods to power the microwave. And that's easier to do today with batteries and inverter.

For us a generator would mostly be necessary to run the AC at night when shore power is not available (and provided running generator was allowed). That combination would be so rare that it's not worth the cost, extra weight, or loss of cargo capacity or space. If anything I would rather apply the money towards greater battery capacity.

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #12

Thanks for all of the input. I know there are debates about idling engines and I have listened. We will see how that goes. I do see Promasters being dressed up as Ambulances and I don't know if they do anything special. I did get the big alternator that Dodge offered?

Hopefully my Sportsmobile will be reliable, easy to build, easy to operate, easy to maintain, and comfortable for two people who want to see the country.
My new van has arrived at Sportsmobile Texas and is in line for the build.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt

.....cut......

Fortunately Sportsmobile's 2000 watt inverter can handle the Microwave so it is usable on the road. The inverter should also handle the roof AC on really hot days while going down the road if the dash/rear van AC isn't enough. I'm sure I can't do both Microwave and AC at the same time. I did get the big alternator on the van.

......cut......
I'd check with Sportsmobile about running a roof-mounted AC off a 2000 watt inverter if you plan on that need. I know many inverters can provide twice the power for a short time, but even 4000 watts can't meet the instantaneous current demand of roof ACs I'm familiar with. Many get up in the 70 to 90 Lock Rptor Amps. They may have a way to limit inrush current but I'd ask them anyway.

Also, assuming you can get it running off 2000 watt inverter, a typical RV roof AC will require approximately 2000 watts of power. And that in turn will require everything from your vehicle's alternator. I'm not sure you could run a typical 13,500 BTU/hr AC while driving and keep your van going.

By the way, the SMB at Tampa RV show reportedly has a 4000 watt inverter. That size "may" be required to run roof AC.

Just mentioning questions I'd ask more details on.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #14

Chance

Running the roof AC while going down the road is not a "must have" for me. Hopefully the van's front and rear AC will be enough. So we will see.

Some AC's have what is known as "Soft Start". I think that means that they don't try to start the fan and the compressor at the same time and that there is a delay from the time it turns off before it will try to start again. Enough time to allow the compressor to unload..

Hopefully Sportsmobile uses a "Soft Start" roof AC.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #15

Garage

G'day,
DCHitt, would love to see some pictures please? Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #16

Sheriffdoug
The van is still a virgin so its not much to look at. Also I haven't figured out how to get pictures to display. I did put a couple in some kind of Gallery but don't know what to do after that....
Old 02-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #17
Site Team

Go to your Gallery, and copy the information in the white box next to either Thumbnail, Fullsize, or Direct [IMG] and paste that in your post.

Herb
Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #18

Thanks Herb.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:41 AM   #19

I too have an all electric van. Fits our traveling needs perfectly. We are OLD and we generally eat our large meal at noon usually at a hole in the wall restaurant or one of those really nice National park places. We have found that after being outside and hiking around all day we really don't want to cook in the evening. We precook and freeze stuff like bison burgers/dogs, turkey breast whatever. At dinner time we just pop it in the microwave for a minute or 2. We have 2 house batteries and the 2000 watt inverter so we can run the microwave for this purpose. Usually of course we are plugged in so it's not a problem. I have the 13500 btu roof air and have run it while on the road. However, this will only last for about 1-1 1/2 hours. We've found that the dash air and a small fan in the back will keep everyone comfortable even in Texas. We started out doing things much differently 4 years ago but over time we have found what seems to work best for us while fully utilizing all the capabilities of the van.
oldbernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #20

oldbernie,

Your description matches exactly our needs. Big refrigerator for restaurant left overs. We even match the "old" part. Thanks for sharing.