Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #51

Re: My new Promaster 3500, High Roof, Long body, Sportsmobil

Thanks again. A load of 14.9 Amps at standard test conditions probably does suggest a 13,500 BTU/hr AC. And your measured 150 Amps at roughly 12 Volts, or 1800 watts, also seems consistent. Depending on temperatures an air conditioner can pull more or less current than at nominal and standard rated conditions.

If I was going to power the AC off an inverter on a regular basis, I think the smallest AC that can keep up would be ideal. It would be interesting to know if your AC cycles on-and-off when cooling your van, which would suggest a smaller AC may be enough also.

For night use I'm sure 13,500 is much more capacity than needed. For hot, humid, sunny afternoon maybe not even enough.

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #52

It does seem to be able to do the job. Remember my van is White, only one small window added by Sportsmobile, and good insulation including in the floor. I could go for a smaller unit if it was quieter.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #53

I haven't seen much data on sound level, but assume a lower-capacity AC could be quieter if it's basically the same unit as a larger one with exception of smaller compressor and blower/fan running at lower RPMs to move proportionally less air. As I recall it seems much of the interior noise comes from blower and wind noise.

The only way to make it much quieter is probably to use a different type of AC.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #54

It would be nice if it had a slower fan speed. The lowest level is still pretty high.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
That's interesting, but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my van with keys in ignition for fear that it may be too tempting for some to break a window and drive off. I'm not familiar with details of remote start systems, but assumed they would make it a little more secure by leaving the steering column locked.
It's not about the locked column (do vehicles even do that anymore?), but they cut out the second you touch the brake pedal. Since in most modern vehicles you can't shift out of park without depressing the brake, it's pretty effective.

Does the Promaster have a chipped key? What happens if you remove the chip (e.g. start the van with a steel key (no chip) with the chipped key in proximity, then remove the chipped key from the van)? Reason being is you could go old school and remove the key retaining lock ring that keeps the key in the ignition, then you can pull the key while it's in run and even though you're not really remote start protected, the potential criminal won't know that.

The problem with the low voltage starting system I would think is liability/danger, it's easier and safer just to have the battery disconnect at reduced voltage, before it gets so low you can't start. Otherwise the van may start, say, on a mechanics lift or in an enclosed space where it shouldn't be run. And people would put the system on manuals and leave them in gear. I had a crossed wire in my alarm for a very short bit that would crank the Jeep starter whenever I armed it and it was downright dangerous.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #56

Here is what I think I have learned about the Promaster locks.

I believe the Promaster has a chipped key. So the key fob needs to be close in order for it to start.

Only the drivers door and the passenger side rear door can be locked/unlocked from the outside with a physical key. None of the doors have the old button on the inside.

You can lock/unlock all the doors with an electric button on the dash. You can lock/unlock the side and back door with an electric button on the drivers door.

The drivers door and the passengers door will unlock if you open them from the inside. The side door and rear door will unlock if you open them from the inside but only on the second try.

If the keys are in the ignition you cannot lock the doors with the key fob.

So you start the engine, leave one set of keys in the ignition, lock all the doors with the dash button.

Try to get out the drivers door and the passenger door also unlocks. You try the key fob lock button and nothing happens because there is a key in the ignition. You can lock the drivers door with a physical key but not the passenger door (which was unlocked when you opened the drivers door).

So rather than trying to get out the drivers door you operate the open door latch (twice) on the rear door and get out without anything else unlocking and you can lock this door with the physical key.

It makes it really hard to lock your keys in the car. In order to do this trick you need two sets of keys.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #57

On a related note, MotorHome Magazine tested the Roadtrek E-Trek option on a Mercedes Sprinter. It comes with 8 6-Volt batteries of 200 Amp-hour capacity each. That's 1600 amp-hours, or 800 amp-hours equivalent if at 12 Volts.

Assuming a little over 50% discharge, or 450 amp-hours usable, it works out to a nominal 3 hours of air conditioning at full load. Based on high current rate which decreases battery capacity, about 2- to 2-1/2-hours can be expected.

If a smaller AC like a 9200 or 11000 BTU/hr could keep the van cool enough, it would help batteries operate the AC much longer.

As you use your camper more in summer heat, I'd be very interested in knowing if a 13500 AC runs 100% of time during hottest conditions, or if there is possibility to scale its size back some.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #58

Hey DCHitt. How about an update on your van ?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #59

Yes I do owe the forum an update. I have been from N.Y. to Calif. On Rt. 90 and back or Rt. 80.

Here is a picture of the van in the Redwoods of Northern Calif.

On the way back we did stop at Sportsmobile North for a couple of warrantee repairs. One of the 12 volt plugs was wired backwards and took out a couple of phone chargers and a foot on the microwave broke so it was loose and its door would jam. I called ahead and they took me right in when I arrived. They jumped to it and all was fixed in a half hour or so. They also got a chance to see how Texas was making the overhead cabinet doors. Seems that I have the new door design.

I did get some experience with the engine AC/Heat. I love the floor heat and it was enough to keep it nice without turning on the rear heat fan. I did run the engine for most of the night when it was cold (in the 40's). The rear fan makes a lot of noise but the engine is quiet so it was great with just the floor heat..

The outside temp did get into the 90's a couple of times and the front/rear engine AC had no trouble keeping it cool inside. I didn't need to use the roof ac while going down the road.

The roof AC/Heat was only used while in a campground. I don't like the fact that the heat strip is not under control of the thermostat and the fan makes a lot of noise even on low. Other than that it had no trouble keeping the van cool during the day and warm when I turned the heat strip on in the morning.

I like the way the Promaster drives even with cross winds. I think everyone complains about the lack of a tilt steering wheel and a left arm rest so I will not rant about that. The only issue I have with Dodge is that they can't seem to find their XF6 option (Auto idle up with heavy alternator load.) even though it is advertised. I'll keep after that one.

Future changes include a rotating passenger seat and a thermostat for the rear heat/ac. The next trip will be to Michigan after I get the thermostat installed..
Old 08-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #60

Looks like a great trip.What kind of MPG did you get, and at what speed did you drive? Have you weighed your van full of stuff. Did you experience any of the infamous brake squeal talked about on other forums ? Don't cha wish you hadn't responded ?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote