Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #21

Re: My new Promaster 3500, High Roof, Long body, Sportsmobil

The other function I would like opinions on is "All Season Use".. To me this means keeping fresh water in the tank for the sink and toilet through the winter. I have asked Sportsmobile for some special treatment to accomplish that.

I understand that Sportsmobile insulates pretty well. I have asked that they insulate the floor also. It will make the ceiling a little closer to my head (I'm 6.'2").

I ordered the "rear heat/ac prep package" with the van. Sportsmobile will add the rear heater radiator and AC evaporator along with the fan and ducting. What is special is that I have asked them to run the engine coolant hot water lines to the rear through the middle of the floor so it will warm the floor rather than heating the great outdoors if it was run underneath.

The fresh water tank will be above the floor and I have asked that all fresh water pipes are also above the floor. My tank, pump, bathroom, kitchen sink, are all on the drivers side so water does not have to cross to the other side. Batteries on the passenger side should balance the weight

My holding tanks will be mostly under the floor so I will add antifreeze as required.

Another special system that I have asked them to install is what I call an "Active RV Antifreeze System". I used it in my Winnebago and it kept the pipes from freezing even when there was no heat in the rest of the RV. The idea is to use a thermostat on a pipe in the coldest place that will open a 12 volt electric valve and circulate the hot water line back to the line coming from the tank ahead of the pump. That circulates hot water through the water lines and keeps them from freezing.

When the van is parked with no one in it I can leave the hot water heater on and the Active Antifreeze System will keep the water lines from freezing without using a lot of power to keep the whole rig warm. The hot water heater is heated with the engine coolant as well as 110v ac.

We will see how it all works. I don't like having to winterize.

Any opinions or ideas?

DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Keep your load balanced. Some stuff if heavier than other items. All the heavy weight on one side can pose problems.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #23

Daveb

Good thought. On the passenger side is the Refrigerator, Micro Wave, Inverter, and Batteries. On the drivers side is the fresh water, holding tanks, head, hot water heater, and kitchen sink. I may have to add some more batteries to balance things up.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #24

My build has started. Slight change from the plan. The roof AC will have a Heat Strip rather than Heat Pump. Seemed to be some question as to being able to run the AC/Heat pump unit on the 2000 watt Inverter.

Here is what it looks like thanks to the pictures from Kevin.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt
Daveb

Good thought. On the passenger side is the Refrigerator, Micro Wave, Inverter, and Batteries. On the drivers side is the fresh water, holding tanks, head, hot water heater, and kitchen sink. I may have to add some more batteries to balance things up.

Just carry a heavy passenger.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #26

I will have to wait and see how big the water tanks are before I can calculate how big my passenger has to be.......
Old 03-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #27

@DCHitt - nice looking build. do you know what type of insulation is being used?
thanks
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #28

windguy: It does look good. Sorry but I don't know the material. The walls are whatever SMB
uses. The floor gets special treatment. Strips of something laid into the floor grooves and another layer over that. Then the plywood and then the flooring. The heater hoses from the engine to the rear heater run down through the center of the floor to warm up the floor.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #29

As you can see progress is being made.

Photo compliments of K9Sprinter
Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #30

Carringb
I did find some information on "Ambulance Prep Package" for the Promaster Van.

It consists of:
• 220A alternator
• limited slip differential
• HVAC taps; fittings for rear HVAC unit
• Voltage monitoring and auto idle up control

Seems like all good things for a Sportsmobile. I ordered the big alternator and Rear Heat/AC prep package so I have at least two of the four. Limited slip would have been nice also, but I didn't order it. If I find out that the "Voltage monitoring and auto idle up control" comes with the big generator, I will be happy since that will mean I don't need "Fast idle"....

I have seen some posts that verify my assumption on idle gas consumption at .5 gal/hr and at least one other owner is idling all night to keep warm in really cold weather..

It is also starting to look like "auto start on low battery" will be easy to do as long as a key is in the ignition.

I think my build is about done. Should have more pics soon.