Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Narrowed it down to two base vans. Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzy
...They continued on, so I said goodbye. While waiting for a taxi in the dealer lot, they approached me again and said they would go back to the initial price. I said I had another van lined up, and I would sooner pay more than give them five dollars...
Good call, and congrats on the purchase.

Herb

Old 01-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #12

Good decision Bozzy!

We just went through a similar scenario at Fritts Ford in Riverside. They had a used Subaru that my GF had her heart set on and jerked her around on the price for months. We ended up finding a used Mercedes at the Foothill ranch dealer for about $1K more than the Subaru, certified, less miles with 15 months of warranty left and .99% APR, etc. If anyone from Fritts calls again I'll tell them to shove the Subaru up their a$$.

BTW, Santa Margarita Ford is right up the street from me. The parts dept has treated me right a few times there, no complaints. I bought my van out of state, but have bought a few OEM parts there.

Congrats!
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
The 2011 should be fine, 5.4's are a a great reliable engine. Plus, an extra 5k for goodies!
That was my thinking exactly. I leaned towards the newer van simply because Ford decided to stop giving birth to these beauties, and I wanted to grab the freshest one I could within reason.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #14

Thanks Herb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Good decision Bozzy!

We just went through a similar scenario at Fritts Ford in Riverside. They had a used Subaru that my GF had her heart set on and jerked her around on the price for months. We ended up finding a used Mercedes at the Foothill ranch dealer for about $1K more than the Subaru, certified, less miles with 15 months of warranty left and .99% APR, etc. If anyone from Fritts calls again I'll tell them to shove the Subaru up their a$$.

BTW, Santa Margarita Ford is right up the street from me. The parts dept has treated me right a few times there, no complaints. I bought my van out of state, but have bought a few OEM parts there.

Congrats!
Cheers to that boy wonder, gotta stick to your guns! The Santa Margarita guys were great, we mostly talked about football, they didn't try to sell me every warranty and/or product under the sun, and most importantly all the numbers matched up as we discussed.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #15

Congrats! I would've gone for the older van in the first place, the miles really being nothing at all, but I'm glad it went well in the end. Sorry to hear of your troubles with car dealers. I won't buy from a dealer. I just won't because of what you stated above about the crap they pull. Too many games and you usually get no records in addition to all the floor mats, books, and anything else not bolted down having been thrown out. Makes no sense to me why they can't just sell cars.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #16

Quote:
here is the outgoing van

Converted E150 RB with Action Van Suspension and Fiber Line top.
[/url]/img]

Did you trade the "outgoing van" or do you plan to sell it privately?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Congrats! I would've gone for the older van in the first place, the miles really being nothing at all, but I'm glad it went well in the end. Sorry to hear of your troubles with car dealers. I won't buy from a dealer. I just won't because of what you stated above about the crap they pull. Too many games and you usually get no records in addition to all the floor mats, books, and anything else not bolted down having been thrown out. Makes no sense to me why they can't just sell cars.

In retrospect, I think you and Ujoint offered solid advice. It would probably have been wise to go for the cheaper option. I am happy with what I got, the body is straight, and I do enjoy seeing 18k on the odometer... but with the money I would've saved I would be like 90% funded towards a pop-top which is in the vans future. I'm 34yo, still relatively young, and relatively stupid
Old 01-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
Quote:
here is the outgoing van

Converted E150 RB with Action Van Suspension and Fiber Line top.
[/url]/img]

Did you trade the "outgoing van" or do you plan to sell it privately?
Definitely did not trade it. I will be selling it. I'm headed out to the desert today until Super Bowl Sunday! I'm probably gonna pull off the rear bumper and replace it with the chrome bumper off the new van. The lift, tires, fiber line top, in dash nag, and all the other goodies will stay with it. I'll post more pics when I get back. The interior has a carpet kit, so it's not yet camperized. I do have some brand new leaf springs that are not yet on it, they will go with the van too. The leaf's were ordered through SD truck springs, and they are the HD version with a 2250lb capacity if I recall. They will bring the rear up a bit more too.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #19

I would've bought the low miles one that you bought.......it's only money, you can get more of it
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:05 AM   #20

^I agree. If you keep it a long time you'll be happy about the miles, and if you sell it down the road the newer van with lower miles will likely sell more easily.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote