Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

Narrowed it down to two base vans. Help please.

Hi, I'm Brandon, first post here.

I am trying to decide between two E350 RB Passenger wagons.. both are the 5.4l's.

Option 1: 2011 67,000mi, very good condition - $16,995

Option 2: 2013 24,000mi, very good condition - $21,500

Plans are to add pop top, and the primarily a DIY build for Family and Baja Excursions. I gave up on finding a cargo I was happy with. I think the 2011 may be just fine, but not sure if the extra 5k is really worth the lower mileage. I think replacing a tranny is cheaper than that price difference.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Also this forum has been an awesome research tool... thanks you to everyone!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Re: Narrowed it down to two base vans. Help please.

Do they have different options? I would check to see if either has a LSD rear end or even a factory aux battery.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Do they have different options? I would check to see if either has a LSD rear end or even a factory aux battery.
....good point.....the data plate in the driver's door jamb reveals many things like axle ratios, etc.

if possible take a photo of the plate(s) and post.

also, pull off a rear hub cap and see if either one has a full float rear axle....the desireable FF rear axle has a hub that sticks out through the hole in the center of the wheel; semi-float axles end flush with the wheel, ie don't have a hub that sticks out past the wheel.

BTW, the windows vans have factory rear heat/air stock. That option is rarer than hen's teeth in cargo vans.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
Dia

Go to the link below and plug in your VIN numbers to get the factory window stickers. That might help you discover any differences in options.

http://www.fordflex.net/misc/window-sticker.php

If warranties matter to you, check in the in-service dates on each. The 2011 is out of warranty, but the 2013 should still be in 3/36 range.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #5

I had a 2010 e-350 RB pass van converted by SMB West in 2012. The freon lines for the rear AC were along the left side under the floor and SMB could not put the propane tank and access door in their usual place on the left side. They put the tank under the back in the factory spare tire location and a smaller door on the left rear quarter panel. I have to crawl under the van to see the gauge.

I did not do a 4x4 conversion but wanted to have a limited slip differential. The Ford dealer wanted over $2000 to do a LSD changeout. Does anyone know about getting a LSD for a more reasonable price?
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnolden
I had a 2010 e-350 RB pass van converted by SMB West in 2012. The freon lines for the rear AC were along the left side under the floor and SMB could not put the propane tank and access door in their usual place on the left side. They put the tank under the back in the factory spare tire location and a smaller door on the left rear quarter panel. I have to crawl under the van to see the gauge.

I did not do a 4x4 conversion but wanted to have a limited slip differential. The Ford dealer wanted over $2000 to do a LSD changeout. Does anyone know about getting a LSD for a more reasonable price?
Any time you go to the dealer, you're going to pay a premium. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a complete rear end (disc to disc) on craigslist that is equipped with the gear ratio you want and LSD. You can also just add the limited slip unit or a locker to your existing rear end.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnolden
My van also has rear air, and I cannot (just barely cannot) fit the 8" dia propane tank on the driver's side due to the refrigerant lines and the E brake cable. My present plan is to mount it under the passenger side where folks typically put batteries.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

Thanks to all who replied, I was reading replies on my phone during the drive up. My clubby fingers prevented me from effectively responding via phone.

I have a new van! I did go through hell at the first dealership though.

All the vans had the same options, the axle on the new van may or may not be free float. I'm gonna check that tomorrow, but I decided that was not going to be a deal breaker for me. All had the power package, with back-up cameras and sensors.... which I'll probably scrap after a new bumper.

I got a 2013 E350 RB with 18k miles for 23,400. Honestly the van at the first dealership was a better deal. We agreed on 21,500, shook on that, and started the paperwork. The sales guy on the floor was great, but the sales manager was the worst I have ever dealt with. He plugged in hidden fee's to the finance calculations.. and I don't mean sales tax, doc fee's, title transfer, etc.... he added 1000 for a security feature, and insisted that to get that price I would have to finance through them at a higher APR than I was already set up for. I initially agreed to financing through them, with an option to buy out. The trigger point was the 1k security feature.

I spoke with multiple sales reps before and during the visit and they all assured me that the printed quote I had brought in would be honored. The sales offered no itemized list of what I was financing, and I called bull***t. We got a little heated in the dealership, and they said the advertised price was higher than when I had called earlier in the day.

Sorry to type so much... in the end I told them I came to buy a van for the price they advertised, and if they couldn't do that I would leave. They continued on, so I said goodbye. While waiting for a taxi in the dealer lot, they approached me again and said they would go back to the initial price. I said I had another van lined up, and I would sooner pay more than give them five dollars.

I went to the next dealer, and everything went as it should.

Ford/Mazda of Orange was the first dealership, and despite terrible reviews I still tried them out, regrettably. Santa Margarita Ford was where I bought finally, and they were straightforward and easy to work with. Sorry to rant, I just got home. Both dealers are in SoCal. Pics of the new van tomorrow, and here is the outgoing van

Converted E150 RB with Action Van Suspension and Fiber Line top.
[/url]/img]
Old 01-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #9

The 2011 should be fine, 5.4's are a a great reliable engine. Plus, an extra 5k for goodies!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #10

I have been procrastinating listing this after installing my Full Floater. I have a Dana 60 SF with LSD and 4:10. It should have 35 splline axles as it is out of my 2007 and would be great for a Rear wheel drive van with larger tires. 70,200 miles. $350 takes it. I will also list it in classified.

Paul