Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #11

Thank you all for the advice!

It would be nice to not have to do another interior build. My last one I was getting paid while working on it (in between calls at EMS station) so the time wasn't a big deal. Now my time is worth a lot more to me.

I will check that out about 5Star. I hadn't looked at them for a year or two but the website does still shows them available.

RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #12

Garage
I went from a 7.3 to a v10 loved the diesel just the noise and the cost of maintenance i had to do a injector while on a cross country trip and it was about $2500 I could probably buy a new v10 for 5K. The gas is so much quieter and user friendly a bit hard on fuel but nothing is perfect. I have 35"s with 4.56 gear
snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #13

Note that several of the people advising the gas van are/were diesel owners. That should tell you something. They are lovable engines but at a price.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgroomer View Post
I went from a 7.3 to a v10 loved the diesel just the noise and the cost of maintenance i had to do a injector while on a cross country trip and it was about $2500 I could probably buy a new v10 for 5K. The gas is so much quieter and user friendly a bit hard on fuel but nothing is perfect. I have 35"s with 4.56 gear
We did notice the noise on our way back with the new van. I have some hearing loss and it was difficult to have a conversation with the wife while on the highway. I planned to work on that with sound deadening (and filling up the empty cargo area with an interior) but worried about how much it would lessen it.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Note that several of the people advising the gas van are/were diesel owners. That should tell you something. They are lovable engines but at a price.
Definitely seeing that Eric! Thought there would be more of a split of opinions but it is pretty much unanimous choice of the gasser.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #16

Why don't you sell the trailer, build out both vans, drive them till you decide which one to keep or both. Once you decide you can sell one and buy a smaller more tow friendly trailer. Whaallaa problem solved!!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Why don't you sell the trailer, build out both vans, drive them till you decide which one to keep or both. Once you decide you can sell one and buy a smaller more tow friendly trailer. Whaallaa problem solved!!
Lol, the trailer is our full time home until we decide where we want to live and build a house. We intended on a smaller trailer but once we started looking at them and imagining staying in there 24/7 we went bigger. Never really intended to travel much in it since we have our van camperized but thought it might be nice to take it somewhere every once in a while.

Good idea though! We will definitely sell this one once we get a house and maybe get a much smaller trailer. We travelled for 3 months in the gas van so we are pretty used to camping in it though so might not even need a smaller one.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #18

6.0 Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Hope this is the right sub forum as I thought the drivetrain forum might work too...

I need advice from all of your experienced minds on choosing which van to keep.

I have a 2004 E350 5.4 with a home made interior (pretty nice, not junk), roof rack, electrical, etc. 130k miles but just put a Jasper engine in it 10k miles ago. Clean RB passenger with nicer tan interior with green paint.

In February I bought a 2005 E350 with a 6.0 because I needed better towing capacity and wanted more power. Van was a stock fire vehicle but came with a MG Metalsworks 4wd kit unistalled along with axles and transfer case. 75k miles and pretty good shape but a little rust to it. Okish RB Cargo w fire engine red paint and gray beat up interior.

Realized my camper is just too big for me to tow comfortably (10k lbs and 38' total length) so no longer care about the towing ability. I also spend a lot of time envision worrying over the 6.0 issues (even after doing the EGR delete and cooler) when on road trips far from home and the time to convert another van.

To convert the diesel I am looking at a bit more money converting depending if on how much I get for the 5.4 gas van. To keep the gas van, I am stuck with the slower motor (no towing) and losing a bit on the resell of the diesel. The interior is done in the 5.4 but I would modify it a bit to make it fit us better. The diesel would be a ground up build.

This van would be our touring/travelling van. Would keep tire size to 33/34" with either with the 4wd conversion. Do all my own maintenance and have a pretty low annual income.

Which would you choose to keep and convert to 4wd? Why?

Thanks for any help. I know questions like this get annoying to see but I am kinda stuck.

Joe
I had a 2004 6.0 after 35 times back to the dealer in the first 3 years of warranty finally lemon lawed and got out of it. I bought a 06 5.4 E-250 went to my Ford mechanic asked his advice before, said they are very reliable good motors, stay away from the heart ache and expense of the 6.0.
Just my thoughts, 410's will help with towing.
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrmbl View Post
I had a 2004 6.0 after 35 times back to the dealer in the first 3 years of warranty finally lemon lawed and got out of it. I bought a 06 5.4 E-250 went to my Ford mechanic asked his advice before, said they are very reliable good motors, stay away from the heart ache and expense of the 6.0.

Just my thoughts, 410's will help with towing.
Yeah, the 2v 5.4 seems to be a great motor, just under powered IMO. Good thing about it is that I can work on it. I am still trying to figure out how to get the turbo off the 6.0! Lol

I hope a regear and 5star or similar tune will help. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #20

What is a five star tune?
Is there a chip upgrade?
Ford came out with a 7.3 gas motor, going to be my next choice, 450 HP detuned model for E series 350 HP.
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote