Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #1

Need post-accident advice

Figured you guys would have good advice and I need it quickly since I'm on the road this lovely weekend.

A guy pulled out in from of my SMB this afternoon. I hit the brakes, turned the wheel, and slid gently into his left rear quarter. Front right corner of my SMB is crumpled but driveable.

He wants to pay for the repairs rather than getting his insurance involved. What do I do? Get a quote and call him? And if he sticks with the plan, he pays the shop directly?

I already started a claim with my ins, but they have no info on him yet. He couldn't produce an insurance card but gave me his ins agents card (Allstate) and I took a photo of his DL and license plate.

Should I wait to have my ins adjuster look at it? Any advice would be welcome. I plan to drive home (4 more hours) where I have another vehicle I can use, then take the SMB to the body shop tomorrow (there's only one where I live, but it's supposed to be okay).

Thanks in advance.

Dogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Need post-accident advice

A couple of red warning flags there if you ask me. Were the police called (assuming they would even come out to a non injury accident)?

Herb
Old 05-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #3

Is driving without insurance illegal in your state? Someone rear ended me about 10 years ago. I took all their info including insurance policy number. Turned out that they did not have insurance. My insurance paid for the repairs. Several years after that I got a check in the mail for my deductible. Turned out that they finely go insurance and when they did the old claim against them had to be settled. Long ago in AZ a friend lost a 54 Vet to an uninsured driver.

I would file the claim with your insurance company and let them know that the guy offered to pay for the repairs with cash. They should be able to check if he has insurance.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #4

I'd be more concerned about him coming after you for compensation. Didn't you hit him? At this point it's his word against yours, unfortunately.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
Site Team

The main problem is that you don't know this guy from Adam. He might be totally honest but the part about possibly driving without insurance is sure a red flag. If he causes any trouble like not paying the full amount for the repair you're going to have to deal with this yourself meaning extra time/money. Let the insurance company handle it. They have no shortage of lawyers who handle this stuff all the time. Part of the money we pay them is for this service. Make use of it.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #6

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #7

sounds like you have already started a claim with your insurance. There is no way to "unclaim" a loss. My suggestion: Give them the info you have, let them subrogate the claim if they are able. If not, just let it fall under uninsured motorist coverage. If you are able to track the guy down, you can try to claim your deductible costs directly from him or his insurance (if he has any).

I agree with BrianW - He may have been agreeable at the scene, but if he (or his significant other) thinks they may be able to milk you for an injury settlement, the more involved with insurance you are, the better.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #8

Just to point out the worst case….as it is best to be prepared for dishonest people.
It seems strange someone would have an agents card and not an insurance card if they actually
had insurance.

He may claim you hit him and thus your would responsible for his auto repair.
Not to mention any "made up" pain he suffers after talking to friends or attorney.

I believe a police report would have been best to have done on the spot.

I believe each State has an estimated dollar amount if above the police should be called.

Best to let insurance company handle it at this point as I would be more concerned about this being
turned around to being your fault.

sorry to be a downer
Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
Site Team

About two years ago, I witnessed a traffic accident in Provo, Utah. A young girl made a right turn on a red light and swung wide and side-swiped a towed trailer. 100%, without-a-doubt her fault. I pulled over, briefly talked with the wife of the person who was hit and left my business card with them. Not long afterwards, I received a call from the police officer who eventually showed up, who said there were conflicting statements as to what happened. I relayed what I had seen.

About six months later, I received a call from the gentleman who was hit. He told me if if hadn't been for my statement, things could have turned out very differently for him. Turns out the girl originally was very apologetic, until the point she called her dad to tell him what had happened. Turns out the dad was a lawyer. Suddenly the girl was claiming the other driver was changing lanes within the intersection and had hit her. It was only because of my statement that the police officer, and subsequently the insurance companies, placed the blame on the girl.

Bottom line, stories change, especially as potential consequences sink in to the responsible parties.

Herb
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #10

I paid a claim for cash once. The other driver figured we might skip the country without paying him, and I'm not sure our insurance would have covered it been if we had gone that route. But that was in Poland, on our honeymoon, and my new (and still) wife was found to be at fault for causing a minor traffic accident. Bottom line is that we have probably received our $300 back just in the entertainment value of the story. But I digress...

I agree with the advice above. Years ago I was rear-ended. The guy turned out to be uninsured. He said he would pay, but once the quote came in, he flaked. The car was fixed under uninsured motorist coverage. As was stated above, use your insurance company. This is why you pay for insurance.