Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #1

Need some insights

Hi all,
I could use some input on a potential SMB purchase.
I am considering this SMB:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...THER-122113739

I am a solo traveler, mostly visiting National Parks/Forests in the East (I'm in Virginia), and would really like a smaller van for weekend and week-long vacations. I have zero mechanical skills.

I have many questions. This van has been for sale on multiple websites for several weeks/months. Why? SMB's seem to sell very quickly.

Is the Nissan a decent vehicle?

Any red flags that you can see?

I do not have the time to fly out to Utah to look at this and to bring it home if I purchase. Suggestions on the logistics?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
That looks like a nice van and I like the layout. I have only been around one Nissan and it has been good for him and he puts on the miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #3

Garage
I think the nv would drive fantastic, but probably hard to sell because they are rare. With zero mechanical skills the first thing is figure out how you will maintain and repair the rv parts? Then buy what you can get serviced locally.

With a private seller the only option would be to find somebody to inspect and ship it for you from ut. Unless you trust the seller and they are willing to ship.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #4

A friend of mine uses an NV for hot shot/expedited delivery. He has had his for about 5 years and has 900,000 miles on it. He's trying to break one million before he retires it for a Transit, but only because of the miles. He loves that thing.

IMO, the NV's have a small following that hasn't grown due to their unusual 'Snoopy' shaped nose, but they've grown on me considerably. It looks like an all around great SMB to me. I don't think you'd need to do much to it ever that any RV shop or we here on the forum couldn't help you out with.

Good luck, whatever you choose

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #5

That looks like a very clean van and well laid out. One benefit to the Nissan is that it has a truck style front end so the motor doesn't encroach into the cab. It's also "easier" for mechanics to work on. I feel like some mechanics/shops charge more to work on vans because they are cramped and parts are difficult to get to. I don't know the price market for the Nissan's, but it probably is taking longer to sell due to it not being the super popular platforms of Ford Econolines or Sprinters. The high top is nice too, especially if you don't need 2 sleeping areas. You can pull over anywhere and walk through the van.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #6

Garage
Jump on it, I have seen this for sale as well since its local to me (haven't looked at it personally) but seems like a great price and a well layed out interior for 1 or 2 people, its basically new. You would just need to figure out shipping to you if you absolutely wouldn't be able to fly out to Salt Lake and drive it back on an extended weekend even. That is a far trip, what at least 2,000 miles, yikes.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #7

In regards to getting it home, you can contact Dig255 on this forum. He can do a fly and drive for you. He's done it for several members on this forum including myself.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #8

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your comments and insights!

I really like this SMB. I wouldn't have to do anything to it ... just jump in and go ... so cool!

The seller has listed this on eBay and I'm keeping a close eye on it. I would love to make him an offer outright but this would really stretch my budget ... and I have also found a terrific van that I could build out slowly as finances allow.

Decisions, decisions ...
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #9

The more I look at this van the more I like it. I built this floor plan for the guy I sold my SMB to and really liked it. One thing I didn't do but thought about was the sideways fridge accessible from in or out how they did it. I think that's a great idea. It doesn't impede the walkthrough space of the van with people in it and when you bring in a bag of groceries you can put them up without even having to lug them up into the van. Brilliant.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #10

I think it's a really nice van, it if buy factor in the resale value (and ease) of the Nissan platform for an SMB. It's a fine platform, but as noted already are not what most folks are thinking of for an SMB platform.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote