Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Garage
New BFGoodrich KO2 tire

Just when I thought I was done with BfG's they had to go and release this. Dammit.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/r...ko2-54065.html

Old 10-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #2

Garage
Re: New BFGoodrich KO2 tire

^^^ i like the looks of that tire. will be interesting to see how people like them. ive always had really good luck with bfg tires. i just saw so much negativity on this forum about them when i got a van, that i wasnt willing to take a chance buying replacements.

i noticed that toyo just released a new tire too: http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open- ... rain-tires

more choices is usually a good thing, but i never buy the first of anything. i am not going to be any companies guinea pig without getting stuff for free.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
i never buy the first of anything. i am not going to be any companies guinea pig without getting stuff for free.
So you don't think that a prominent company making products that your life depends on is not doing the proper design engineering, manufacturing, quality control, and real world testing before releasing the tire to the public?
Old 10-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

Hi;

Two words:

Firestone

Regards,

Gavin
Old 10-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #5

The tires were released to the public on cars as the factory installs.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
So you don't think that a prominent company making products that your life depends on is not doing the proper design engineering, manufacturing, quality control, and real world testing before releasing the tire to the public?
ever heard of a recall? of course they test. ive just found over the years that when new things are released, whether its a new tire, new version of a car, or even a unimportant things like a mp3 player that often little issues pop up with new designs. i usually purchase after ive seen others (real world people, not manfs.) give positive reviews with their experiences. my car is a perfect example. soon after the 04 acura tl (a new bodystyle) was released customers started having issues with the automatic trannies failing. by 06 all those issues had been sorted (replaced in earlier models) and the new design was proving reliable. if i had bought the 04 or 05 id be pissed with the hassles of not having a car, trips to dealer, and all that sort of headache. i liked the bodystyle, but after seeing the issues pop up, i decided id wait to see how things panned out before searching for one. after a few years an 08 (last year of bodystyle) popped up and i picked it up. did the same thing with my van. bought the last year with the 7.3.

new designs often seem to have little "quirks" that need ironed out. i dont like being the one to discover those little quirks.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Looks like an improvement over the KO, also adds the 3 peak mountain snowflake rating. We'll see, time will tell. I've been thinking of switching it up after running 2 sets of Toyo M/T's, although they've been a great tire on the van, I need something that's just as tough but better in the snow. I agree, needs to be real world testing from the public before I jump in on a new release of anything, anybody want to try these first?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #8

My KO's are pretty tired so it may be the time to try these KO2,s. I run 315 70r 17 121/118 R and was wondering on the original KO's on the speed rating which did most of you run, R or S? I guess there is a difference in the rubber compound and a hefty price difference. I like the load rating on the KO's with a little over 3100 pounds per tire and have had no issues.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #9

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I received this the other day:

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

Bellpilot - I run the same tire. The speed difference between the R and S is kind of silly to me. Who cares about 6 mph? The R is rated for 106 mph and the S 112 mph. I rarely drive over 80 mph in the van. The S tire is $11 less on Tirerack.com ($289 vs $300). Go figure.

I'm definitely up for trying the new BFG tire. Have 54,000 miles on the old version with no issues with probably 5,000 to 10,000 miles left. Cut one sidewall on our first trip on the old Mojave Trail but that was driver error not the tire's fault. Four Wheel Parts made good on their hazard warranty and I got a new tire for $25. An all terrain makes much more sense for our driving, but a mud terrain would look so much better....