Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

New design wish list

Hi

I currently own a 2010 Winnebago (Sprinter 2500) ERA 170X. Would like to sell and build a custom Sprinter or other large van from Sportsmobile or other reliable builder.

My Sprinter has a power side door form ADOR, extra leaf in rear spring suspension because airlift airbags are unreliable and a LOUD Onan 2500 propane generator. If I make such a move, the builder needs to be able to:

1. Install a power electric sliding door
2. Provide improved rear suspension other than by airbags
3 Install improved inverter/generator system capable of running on a load from an air conditioner reliably for hours and stay quieter than 55 dB at 5'.
4 Improve over all heating and cooling of the cabin.
5. Be stealthy enough to not draw attention during "Boonedog" parking
6. Be able to use and store water in below freezing conditions.
7. Use some type of tankless water heater.

Improving Heating and cooling, operating off grid in boondog conditions is my primary mission.

Love to converse here with someone able to consider my needs. Thanks!!

timotb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

Garage
Hi,

Welcome.

So are you asking for input on each item or looking for a builder to incorporate those elements?

I think there are solutions for each although I don't know about a generator to meet the dB requirement. EU2200i Honda might, but don't know if that will be enough and it wouldn't be "installed".
Old 07-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #3

I'm looking for both commentary and a builder. Getting opinions on a design is smart before just start building. The Honda eu3000i is my thought for a better generator over the Onan 2500. There might be something better that I'm not aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Hi,

Welcome.

So are you asking for input on each item or looking for a builder to incorporate those elements?

I think there are solutions for each although I don't know about a generator to meet the dB requirement. EU2200i Honda might, but don't know if that will be enough and it wouldn't be "installed".
Old 07-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #4

Are you set on building something new or are you open to fixing the problems with what you have? There are a variety of builders that could easily create something for you, especially if you have deep pockets. But there are also companies that could fix some or all of your current issues with your current van.

I wouldn't rely on this post to draw in anyone that will build you a van. You are going to need to contact van outfitters directly.

Builders to check out:
AVC Rig
Outside Van
Sportsmobile
RB Components
Exclusive outfitters
Colorado campervan
Van Specialties
Benchmark Vehicles
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #5

Also, letting us know where you are located will help with recommendations for a builder.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the list of custom builders. I'm in Northeast Ohio. Akron Canton
Old 07-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #7

Garage
Agree with Grampswrx.

Thinsulate for keeping cool or warm.

I have a tankless flat plate for heating water by coolant. Other options available.

Keep tanks inside, or insulate and/or heat.

Cargo van with minimal windows for stealth. Really depends on where you will be, passenger style might be stealthier in some places. Guy down the street bought a Roadtrek that has some areas of the side painted to look like windows, actually hard to tell because of the dark tint on the real windows. I'm using black fabric covered reflectix in my windows not in use and when parked if needed, works great. Can't tell it is there with the dark tint.

Weldtec Designs installed custom rear progressive leaf springs for the weight of my van. The springs work very well, no sagging, rides well, extra capacity if needed.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #8

Garage
Sportsmobile North is in Indiana as you may know and they get great reviews.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #9

Thanks. Those are some really great ideas. I'm trying to defeat mediocracy that the big manufacturers are pushing to the public

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Agree with Grampswrx.

Thinsulate for keeping cool or warm.

I have a tankless flat plate for heating water by coolant. Other options available.

Keep tanks inside, or insulate and/or heat.

Cargo van with minimal windows for stealth. Really depends on where you will be, passenger style might be stealthier in some places. Guy down the street bought a Roadtrek that has some areas of the side painted to look like windows, actually hard to tell because of the dark tint on the real windows. I'm using black fabric covered reflectix in my windows not in use and when parked if needed, works great. Can't tell it is there with the dark tint.

Weldtec Designs installed custom rear progressive leaf springs for the weight of my van. The springs work very well, no sagging, rides well, extra capacity if needed.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #10

Garage
Welcome. Having a van custom built will help with that mediocracy as you know.

Various opinions on the quality of Sportsmobile.

The one Outside Vans conversion I saw was extremely nice.

One Canadian option, Safari Condo, not custom per se, but an option.
https://safaricondo.com/en/

I think hightop vans are stealthier than poptops unless the top remains down.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote