Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #1

New Ford Transit conversion users?

Hi All,
I have ordered a Ford Transit 250 ecoboost 2wd low roof w/penthouse top to begin conversion in July. The interior will be a copy of my current old E250. Am wondering how others like their Fort Transit (mid, high or low/penthouse roof) as far as handling and functioning. I won't have mine to actually drive until Oct - Nov. but am curious about your experience esp. if compared to your previous vehicle, if applicable. I hope it's been enjoyable...
Thanks for any input you can offer.

Happy traveling,

Rollon2fun

rollon2fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

Hi Yourself,
I'm working on one too. It's going to be a tight fit; can't stand up unless the penthouse is up. Mine's an RB. I think I could have ordered a longer one and still had a penthouse. Good Luck, trib
trib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

I hear they drive like a car and the 3.5l Ecoboost is no joke.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #4

My 130wb low roof with penthouse has only been on one short trip so far. I wouldn't say they drive quite like a car, but certainly comfortable to drive. Size and handling isn't an issue IMO, but lack of visibility due to no windows in a cargo van is (which will change some as it gets built out). The 3.5l Ecoboost is for real. On a loop from Seattle, over the North Cascades, down through Wenatchee, over Blewett and then Snoqualmie pass, I got 20 -22 mpg, at 70+. That's a van with a poptop and nothing else. I assume extra weight will reduce the mileage some as well.

Yes, can't stand without the top up. Also it's a higher rig to get in and out of than I'd have thought.
WAMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #5

I love mine! The Ecoboost is certainly no joke. Great engine and plenty of power for this van. I think the trans could use some tuning to firm it up a little but it does just fine for 99% of driving.

The ride and handling are very good for a large van. Very nimble and easy to drive in town. Good visibility, nice dash layout, comfortable and relatively quiet inside. I do notice that it is more affected by strong wind gusts vs. our other van. It is a medium roof so it does have a lot of surface area on the side.

Glad I got the medium roof. Lots of room inside and easy to move around. I'm also going to install a pop-top but don't really need it up to move around. Will mostly just use it for sleeping.

I can't wait to tear into ours and get the 4x4 system designed. I have my strategy all planned out, CAD models sorted and some parts already in the shop. It's happening!!!
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #6

Thanks for your responses

Thanks to each of you for posting your experiences so far! I have read some somewhat alarming stories about acceleration/throttle failures on 2016 Transit cargo van consumer complaint sites and have my fingers crossed that my "new baby" is "healthy" in all respects when I get it. My old 2000 Econoline 250 still gets me there, but I want better gas milage, less rattling and a generally updated interior. Hope the new one is all that and more!

Happy trails,
Rollon2Fun
rollon2fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

The early throttle body and other issues have been resolved by Ford. You'll be good.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

Rollon2fun,

Did u get your Transit yet? how do you like it? Which wheelbase did you order?
JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT87 View Post
Rollon2fun,

Did u get your Transit yet? how do you like it? Which wheelbase did you order?
I am curious too.

john
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #10

Garage
I have the exact same vehicle as you have ordered. it was delivered in FEB 2017 and I had the penthouse, passenger seat swivel, Thule tracks, slider window on driver side, & Fiamma 45S installed by SMB North in May 2017. Couldn't be happier. Wish I had the $$ for a 4x4 conversion.
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote