Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #1

New Fridge Installation?

I've read where some of you folks have replaced the old Norcold DC0751, 2.7 cu. ft. fridge that came in your SMB with the TruckFridge. Looks like the TF65 is almost a direct replacement. TruckFridge says it needs a 21" high cutout. I only have 20-5/16" in my Norcold opening.
My question for you guys what have done it is - is the 21" quote accurate or will it actually fit in my cutout? I know I can redo my cabinet, but that will be a hassle.
The new Norcold NR751 will fit as well as the Engel SB70. The Norcold has the "danfoss" compressor and the Engel its Sawafuji swing compressor
Any recommendations?

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Hey Scatter. Haven't heard from you in some time. I had SMB install the new larger Norcold and found the new compressor pulls more amps. I haven't done an AH usage check just noticed the amperage almost doubled. It's possible the new compressor pulls more but cools quicker so I don't want you to think it's less or more efficient. My next move will be for a more power sipping fridge. I understand the ease of a perfect sized replacement though.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #3

I have found TF models to be sized for direct replacement of other common fridges. To be sure I would call them. TF models have Secop compressor which is supposedly a Danfoss, the company changed names or some such.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #4

Thanks guys.
Dave, I've been looking at the new Norcold, but don't really like the interior setup and the larger freezer.
As far as the compressor goes, just about everyone except Engel uses the "new" Danfoss so I would think that power draw should be very similar. Insulation could change run time though.
The Truckfridge has a smaller interior so maybe it is better insulated?
Scotty, good idea on calling Truckfridge. I did and the very helpful guy measured one and came up with 20-3/4" needed for cutout height. That still leaves me a little short. But, it would only take a few hours to make the cabinet mod.
My old Norcold is still working so I have time to come to a decision.
Appreciate the inputs.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote