Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #1

New to SMB, mostly electrical, some layout

Hello,

Love SMB, Love the site, much to learn. We recently acquired a 2001 SMB with 65k mi on the 7.3L. All in all the vehicle was babied and seems Tip top. She sat garaged for many years and though connected to shore and tenders I think some battery issues are evolving. There is a lead attached to the positive terminal of the main battery under the hood, disconnected it reads 10.8. I assume it goes to the secondary battery I have read about for the PSD motors but when I try to chase the path it seems to go to the battery right next to the grey water tank under the passenger rail. It was my understanding that that was the house battery. I have two battery meters plugged into the front and aft cigarette lighters. With the lead disconnected: the house battery reads 12.4 the main starting battery reads 12.5 and the disconnected lead reads 10.8. Am I tracing that lead to the wrong battery or is the house battery located somewhere else? Also there is a small oil leak from a pan cover that seems like it has a hole to allow oil or something to escape. Is that normal? All photos in my gallery.

Thanks for any advice

RedSlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

Re: New to SMB, mostly electrical, some layout

I'll let the diesel experts chime in, but from what I understand the battery on the frame rail is most likely your second starting battery. That's where Ford mounts the second OEM battery for the diesels IIRC.

Your house battery is likely mounted inside somewhere, although occasionally they are also mounted to a box outside on the frame rail, too. Look under any bench seat/goucho/etc that you might have. It should be in some sort of battery box, probably a plastic vented box. You can also look outside your van for vent hole(s) in the side walls to track down a probable location, as the house batteries must be vented externally to meet RVIA codes.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

I have a DSL and my house battery is outside just behind the rear differential.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #4

Sounds like that battery reading 10.8 is toast, once you find it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #5

Original batteries on a 13yr old van are most likely toast, even if they were lovingly cared for, both starting and house.

I've got an '02 7.3 and my second starting battery in on the rail just behind the wheel well on the passenger side.

My house batteries are under the floor near the smaller side barn door. I access them through a trap door under the rug just inside the barn door but I think the vans PO made that mod. I use 6V liquid acid golf cart batteries that need attention about every 90 days so the trap door is practically necessary.