Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #1

New want to be owner introduction!

Hey guys and gals!!! New member here cant wait to join the camper van world! Im in the market for a used Sporty or maybe a roadtrek or similar camper van style rig, I have been just shocked at how expensive these rigs can be. Anyways, I have been lurking and learning a ton from this forum reading and learning as much as i can about the different lift kit company's etc. My game plan is to find my new van and travel for several months at a time on the open road cant wait for my adventure to begin!!

A few questions on budget for a used sportmobile or other class B campers. In general what is a realistic budget to find a reliable class B camper? I know this is hard to answer cause it can range from 2k to over 100k+ depending on options and how it is set up but what is a general price rage? Thanks in advance, cant wait to join the community!

SoCalCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #2

Re: New want to be owner introduction!

2WD or 4WD? Makes a big difference in price.

I'd expect to pay $30-40k for a 2WD SMB rig in decent shape, for something from the early to mid 2000s. Also depends on your location. West Coast = higher prices due to higher demand.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I would love to have a 4x4 van but they are probably out of my budget. I would love the 7.3 Diesel and a 4x4 conversion but once again I would rather have the extra cash for traveling and gas!

Also another question regarding reliability, specifically the transmissions. How many miles can one expect to last? I have had sources say that the transmissions often go in these heaver vans or conversion camper vans, I have even called on a few used vans and they said they already had the transmission replaced. Due to my primary and secondary research having a positive correlation this is a concern of mine. Any recommendations? Ford Chevy dodge? Thanks!
SoCalCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

We have opened up SBM transmissions with 125K miles on them and they are like new. It all has to do with what it was used for and how it was driven. The worst one was a 1999 E350 with 7.3L and 145K miles. Still ran great but showed a lot of wear when we opened it up for 4x4 conversion.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:52 PM   #5

All the research is part of the fun, and worth every minute too. With that said, good rigs with a fair price don't last long. You'll want to have all your research done long before that perfect van shows up. Otherwise while your asking questions, someone else is putting down a deposit.

2008 GMC LMM Duramax w/ Quigley 4 x 4
PezGallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #6

True that,
I was researching and found several but because I wasn't ready to pull the trigger they moved before I could say yes. Don't be afraid of the late 90's either. Some real good buys come up here and there. I guess it was a good thing as mine came up just over an hour away from where I live.
Watch this forum and classifieds - if you find something further from home just ask a forum member for help. We'll step up to the plate and check it out for you.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #7

Definitely make sure you've done your research and have your funds ready to go!
I looked for almost 5 months before finding my rig, lost out to 2 vans by others being
faster to respond to the ads and committing quickly to seller. After losing out on the 2
vans, I watched the member ads here, Ex Portal, and CL checking whenever I could during
the day! Mikracer posted a link to a CL ad here and I was the 3rd caller, 1st caller from Colorado
was driving to look at outside of LA. the next day. After talking to owner I knew I wanted it and told him I would take it pending inspection and I'd send deposit right then if he agreed. Owner felt obligated to the first guy, I was bummed but told him I would be on first flight if the guy cancelled.
Got a call at 7am and the first guy cancelled, I headed to airport right then and flew to Ontario where owner met me...did the inspection and went to bank to complete transaction!

I ended up with a one owner 2006 SMB EB50 4x4 with 109k with full aluminess goodies,
Dealer serviced with detailed records from van purchase til seller smog. Extreme air inboard air,
propane heat and water heater with shower attachment, 2 4D AGM set up, DVD in dash w/Sirius and
GPS, second DVD setup with drop down screen and wireless headphones, amp and advent speakers with woofer in back below closet rack. The van was super clean inside and out. I think I got real lucky but know that deals are out there and you need to be ready to pounce if it meets your
requirements....I snagged the van for 34k
2004 Ford F350 Service Truck
2006 Peterbilt 320 (hence my forum handle)
Pete320 is offline   Reply With Quote