Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

NewB - kinda long - tell me it can be done ---

I have dreamed about a SMB for years - going on 2 decades now and the time is getting closer for total freedom. Raising a family had the budget way too tight to even contemplate a used SMB so I opted for a old Tiger Provan GT AWD. I loved it and used it to its fullest. I shifted gears, sold it(miss it to this day) got a 5th wheel and big truck and after a few years now I have concluded that there is no way I am retiring, hitting the road hauling that thing around as well as being stuck being the only driver. My wife is a bit short on one end and can’t reach the pedals in the truck so any travel has me behind the wheel. There is no way I am up for that. Living 24/7 and providing taxi service for someone is no way my idea of freedom. So – I had the bright idea of a SMB pulling a palace-Travel Trailer for the wife but – can she reach the pedals? (safely - #&)) in her Honda CRV I don’t feel safe with her behind the wheel but that’s another story) She is not even 4’9” and the SMB may not be in the cards if she cannot reach and drive to Wallyworld or whoknowzit gourd store. I would still be looking for a used SMB 4X4(come-on lottery) and would like to know actual users thoughts. Difference between Ford and GM ? If it is even possible I will take her around and get her into a few seats of like vans just to check and see her confidence level. I have a few years before I am free but I am a bit anal and knowing where I am headed is one of them. Thanks in advance for any input.

edavies267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #2

Re: NewB - kinda long - tell me it can be done ---

My mom is also 4'9" and about 85 pounds. She has no problems driving my van. She's done it many times, even with a 40' trailer in tow. She uses a small pillow behind her back since the lower seat cushion is a little long for her.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #3

I don't know about pedal placement but my wife LOVES the van compared to our F250, just in terms of ease of handling. There are also many custom seat options for the vans, pedestal replacement or full power. It's probably worth an investment in the seat/stand if you can find one that is close to comfortable- a lot of them raise the seat, but there will be more options and space than in a pickup.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #4

Instead of modifying the seat, why not modify the throttle and brake pedals? Don't they make elevated pedals for height challenged people (is that the PC term)? There are also motorcycle like hand brakes and hand throttles for paraplegics and leg amputees. Could you have those installed along with the standard pedals and a way to switch back and forth between the two control systems depending upon who is driving?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

The bigger issue for short people isn't driving the vans, its getting in a out. But there's plenty of options to address that issue.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #6

TomH - dead on. I found several options for pedal extenders. Very interesting and something I had never thought of. After doing some more research it seems the only other issue is the height of the steering wheel - telescoping and tilting.... Thanks for the replies. BTW the top listed SMB-Texas pre-owned is almost exactly what I am on the hunt for. Now if that lottery would come through....
edavies267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edavies267
TomH - dead on. I found several options for pedal extenders. Very interesting and something I had never thought of. After doing some more research it seems the only other issue is the height of the steering wheel - telescoping and tilting.... Thanks for the replies. BTW the top listed SMB-Texas pre-owned is almost exactly what I am on the hunt for. Now if that lottery would come through....
You might want to contact the Disabled Explorers group and see if they can give you any information:

http://www.disabledexplorers.com/
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote