Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2018, 12:20 AM   #11

Oh, and there’s two 7.3s, totally coincidental that they’re the same size. One IDI, one ‘Powerstroke’. And the 94-97 PSD is different than the 99-03 PSD, but much more similar than the totally different late 80s-94 IDI 7.3.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #12

In my 97 it is in the cab
It controls the AIH and the pcm. If the AIH shorts out it will blow the fuse and no pcm so just unplug the AIH
Only replace the CPS with one with a purple o ring and get a spare purple o ring one!!!!!!
To check if the CPS is bad....if you have a tach and it does not show rpm's while cranking...it is bad....simple as that.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
My experience with a 7.3L CPS is that it can fail without warning, and then suddenly, after some random amount of time, it will start just like it should. It can be a very intermittent problem, the worst kind or problem.

Herb
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmboRambo View Post
How did you know? Got a no start? Didn't change the sensor then it started randomly?
that was my exact experience on my 01 f250 that died. died while driving. towed to ford dealer. they tried it and it started right up, so they wouldn't do anything to it. i bought a cps from the parts counter before i left, and changed it in the parking lot. no issues ever again with that truck for years, until it was stolen...
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #14

i would also make sure the hpop is full of oil. there is a plug on top you pull and can pour oil directly in, with a tiny funnel. full is 3/4"-1" below the top.

after checking that, i would unplug the ICP senbsor. it is on the driver's side head, towards the front, on the inside. DO NOT DRIVE WITH IT UNPLUGGED, just let it idle if it starts, then plug it back in.

if the HPOP output pressure is low, it won't fire the injectors. unplugging the sensor defaults the system to a value of 500 psi, and will fire the injectors if low oil pressure is the problem.

does the oil pressure gauge show oil pressure when cranking (you may have to crank for several seconds for it to register)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #15

I'll change cps tonight then check back and see if it works ... I hear the fuel bowl priming also so I think it'll put out diesel . I'll double check for fun.
And when I try to check my hpop the bolt is stripped ... I can remove bolt with vice grips or cut a slash in it and use a flat head but really wouldn't I be getting a code ?
I know the oil was changed maybe 2000 miles ago or 2500 and it's topped off.
AmboRambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #16

I'll try my luck with a autozone cps tonight just because I have store credit ... if that doesn't work I'll return and when I can by a ford one either way make it where I'll be carrying a fictional cps always on me.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #17

Quote:
I'll change cps tonight then check back and see if it works ... I hear the fuel bowl priming also so I think it'll put out diesel . I'll double check for fun.
And when I try to check my hpop the bolt is stripped ... I can remove bolt with vice grips or cut a slash in it and use a flat head but really wouldn't I be getting a code ?
I know the oil was changed maybe 2000 miles ago or 2500 and it's topped off.
mine did not throw a code when it ran low due to a major hpop leak.

does it register oil pressure when cranking after a few seconds?
Old 02-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
i would also make sure the hpop is full of oil. there is a plug on top you pull and can pour oil directly in, with a tiny funnel. full is 3/4"-1" below the top.

after checking that, i would unplug the ICP senbsor. it is on the driver's side head, towards the front, on the inside. DO NOT DRIVE WITH IT UNPLUGGED, just let it idle if it starts, then plug it back in.

if the HPOP output pressure is low, it won't fire the injectors. unplugging the sensor defaults the system to a value of 500 psi, and will fire the injectors if low oil pressure is the problem.

does the oil pressure gauge show oil pressure when cranking (you may have to crank for several seconds for it to register)
So the icp ( sensor)? on front driver side head toward inside of valley controls the output pressure of the oil from the hpop
I'll check that gauge more carefully later too
I have an edge programmer that's shows some basis diagnostics but have slowly been realizing the right numbers I need to be getting.. appreciate the help will see what happens with an autozone cps... and hpop full of oil... if still no start I'll try icp
Old 02-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
In my 97 it is in the cab
It controls the AIH and the pcm. If the AIH shorts out it will blow the fuse and no pcm so just unplug the AIH
Only replace the CPS with one with a purple o ring and get a spare purple o ring one!!!!!!
To check if the CPS is bad....if you have a tach and it does not show rpm's while cranking...it is bad....simple as that.
I don't have tach but I'm getting Rpms in edge programmer . Cps should be fine then?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #20

Quote:
I don't have tach but I'm getting Rpms in edge programmer . Cps should be fine then?
Also that aih is that a plug in on the snorkel / air trunk on connected onto the y pipe going from turbo to heads .. with the orange boots on them?

Tags
7.3, e350, ebp, no start