Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #1

Now I am throughly confused...

Just when I think I have the Amsoil thing all figured out and I am getting ready to do my first change I come across this:

Just to make sure I have the part numbers correct (The amsoil part numbers I have on a piece of paper that came with the van are SDF-26, and BE-100 but I can't find them on the website) I crawled under the van today and low and behold, an amsoil system with Wix oil filters. The Wix filters were parts numbers: 57620 and 51773.

I thought this was interesting so I called Napa, which said the same company that makes Wix filters are the same company that makes their filters. These filter numbers were 7620 and 1773 (drop the 5 the guy told me) and cost $24.22 for both.

Wix oil filters are also for sale on the Amsoil site:

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?category=8

Is anybody else using wix oil filters in place of amsoil oil filters?

I guess my next question would be: Can I just buy the Napa oil fliters and some Mobile 1 and call it good instead of spending $100 to do this "special" filter change and add 2 1/2 quarts of synthetic oil? I know I should have this figured out now but I don't like being at the mercy of one oil product the whole time I own this van. If I could just drive down the road and buy it that would be a different story but I can't.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #2

Re: Now I am throughly confused...

Certainly, you are not locked into buying Amsoil. Any oil that meets the requirements for the engine (diesel oil, CJ4(I think) or better and the appropriate viscosity(15W-40, 5W40, etc.)) is ok, including non-synthetics.

And if the filters cross reference (Wix minus the 5 = NAPA Gold) then you can use them too.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #3

I'm new to synthetic oils, although I used them once before in my Benz, and I am certainly new to the Amsoil system. So,,,If I use the Napa Gold filters as opposed to the Amsoil, and some Mobile 1 will I be good for 15,000 until I need to change the filters and add 2 1/2 quarts like the Amsoil system states I will be good for? I just don't want to screw something up...
Old 01-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #4

You're on your own for that one. I change oil/filter every 7500 miles. If I wanted to go further, I would probably do an oil analysis at 7500 miles to check the condition of the oil and follow the reccomendations from Blackstone.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #5

When you say you go 7500 miles does that mean you just change the filters and top off with 2 /12 quarts? Assuming you have an Amsoil system....Or do you drain the whole oil pan and add 16 new quarts of oil...And is it synthetic or conventional oil?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #6

I think what he is driving at. Engine warranty coverage. If you want to assure that IF you have lubrication related engine failure that you followed (and maybe can prove it) the Ford owners manual for oil and filter changes. You will be asking Ford to repair your engine at their expense. They will be asking YOU if you caused the failure (repair costs would be out of your pocket now, not theirs) by not following the owners manual that came with the vehicle/engine.

The domestic "big three" are usually more open on this than the foreign auto companies. But if you do not follow the owners manual during the warranty period you will be at their mercy as far as who pays.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #7

Well said LenS. And since I have 2 yr/40,000 miles to go on the warranty, I will follow Ford's schedule. Even after the warranty, I would do an oil analysis to go beyond 7500 miles.

For me, the difference in synthetic vs. dino is more an issue of cold weather starting than extending oil change intervals.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #8

'synthetic vs. dino is more an issue of cold weather starting than extending oil change intervals.'

Then you should be golden. The German's made it because they had to.

The U.S. made it for WAY (and I mean way) up north when we were in the cold war.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote