Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #1

OCCC - usable weight

I was looking at some RV's and noticed that CCC has been replaced with OCCC

Does this mean that SMB will start weighting the vehicles?

I went through a real mess with my leaning Sprinter that was delivered with no posted CCC. It was later that I learned Sportsmobile (Austin) does not have scales and does not weigh the vehicle before delivery.

My vehicle was out of tolerance side to side --- leaning, but SMB took no action until I got a letter from the Mercedes Sprinter Engineering and Compliance. I questioned placement of interior at time of design and was told by Sales person - Paul, not to worry it was no problem. Sprinter engineering disagreed.

It was also Paul that talked me out of getting a 3500 (11,000 lbs gross v 8,500 lps gross).

Sportsmobile has never provided construction cost reconcilliation. Each time they worked on fixing the design I was told to go get a bill. I asked them to send a bill showing credit for the stuff taken out, but have never provided anything showing the credit or charges for additional work done. Initally they told me it was impossible to do the fix, but later changed their mind. It took many trips to Austin.

All in all when it comes to weight and balance --- let the buyer beware.

SkinnyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #2

Re: OCCC - usable weight

Sorry about your bad experience with the Texas operation.

I know we're talking about weight and balance, but what exactly do CCC and OCCC mean? I've never seen those acronyms in this context before.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
what exactly do CCC and OCCC mean?
CCC = Cargo Carrying Capacity
OCCC = Occupant & Cargo Carrying Capacity

See this thread on RV Forum for a basic explanation of the changes: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=26115.0

Brent
Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #4

How/why is Sportsmobile excused from providing an OCCC?

They just replaced the label that came from the factory showing gross weights, nothing about how much the vehicle could carry, nor the unladen weight.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

If it were the law, I think they would comply. Need to delve deeper.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #6

Not sure who enforces the federa law. I got Sportsmobile to fix the lean by contacting Mercedes Sprinter Engineering and Compliance folks. It was explained to me by the Sportsmobile folks that they do not have scales to weigh the vehicles.

In just looking through this stuff http://www.federalregister.gov/articles ... city#p-214 it appears that the rule applies to Sportsmobile.

Maybe it is like all the HIPAA hype on medical records. Nobody has ever been found guilty of violating the rules....

I think this rule came up as a matter of tire safety.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #7

I know that the tag from SMB says the GVWR is 9900lbs on our 2004 Ford EB50 4x4. Completely empty and minimal fuel it weighs in at 9,450lbs with me in it (178lbs). That doesn't allow much for additional gear or people.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #8

Hi;

This overweight situation has been an SMB feature for years.

My fully loaded '82 outweighs the GVWR when completely empty.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #9

Yep, and no extra charge!
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #10

Following is from the label added by Sportsmobile. I had to hunt find out what IVD means. Because I had a statement from Mercedes Sprinter Engineering (Publish the Sprinter body builder documents), Sportsmobile was probably legally responsible to fix. My vehicle shows a manufacture date toward the end of 2010. I think members of RIVA had to publish CCC before the new rules. My Sportsmobile owner's manual refers to the CCC. RIVA dropped the requirement because of the new federal requirement for OCCC.

When I first asked Sportsmobile about the leaning Sportsmobile and weights, they sent me to a nearby scrap recycler to get it weighed. Could only get a good total weight. Went to the Escapees RV club, far, far away to get a wheel by wheel weight that confirmed the obvious...

Maybe Sportsmobile is grandfathered for a while before the new rule takes effect.

THIS VEHICLE HAS BEEN COMPLETED IN ACCORDANCEWITH THE PRIOR MANUFACTURES' IVD (Incomplete Vehicle Document) WHERE APPLICABLE

THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERALMOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDSIN EFFECT IN 05/2008