Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #1

Odd request: can I lie in your bed?

So this may come off a little weird, particularly since I’m new to this forum, but here here goes:

My wife and I just sold out 1977 VW Westfalia and I want to do a 4x4 144 Sprinter build out for our next camper. I’m 90% sure I want to do a low roof with SMB pop top, however, I’ve never actually been in one and lied down on the bed. I talked to Brian at SMB in Fresno and they unfortunately don’t have any pop top sprinters being built at the moment. They just finished one but it’s shipping Monday am...

Anyways, this is sort of the last check the box sanity check I want to do before committing to buying a low roof sprinter.

Is there anybody near the Bay Area that would be amenable to having my wife and I lie in your (van) bed? We are in SF but happy to drive a couple of hours. This is a pretty big decision! Happy to pay in beers, Tcho chocolate Etc

Thanks!

Gatorjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #2

2016 4wd 144” Sprinter with penthouse in Walnut Creek, you are welcome to climb in, on, or under it! It’s not here right now, should be back in town in a week or so.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #3

You're more than welcome to come check out my penthouse bed, it's in an 08 E250, but the bed should be the same as your build. I'm in Sunnyvale.
RemingtonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #4

Thank you both! I’ll send DMs.

If anybody else has one I could look at let me know! Ideally in the next few days. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2020, 07:44 AM   #5

Congrats on moving forward!

I would strongly encourage you to check out a Colorado Camper Van pop top for the low roof Sprinter before making your final decision.

https://www.coloradocampervan.com/sprinter-pop-top

The CCV pop top offers much more room and headroom above the bed platform and has electric lift.

We are in San Francisco, have an E350 w a CCV mid height roof. It would give you an approximate idea of what you would be getting. Unfortunately, do to COVID concerns and our very often use of our rig we are maintaining a "only my wife and myself" policy inside the van. If you and your wife are okay with just looking through the open doors, I am happy to show you what the CCV pop top offers. PM me. We are in West Portal area.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #6

Thanks Ray. We pulled the trigger on the SMB top and have it scheduled August in Austin (roadtrip!)

I'm super impressed with the community on this forum. We visited Remington and checked out the top and bed on his E250, and I spoke with Tim from Fitz for a half hour on the phone and he was super helpful. Thank you both!

Really looking forward to the build. Soft goal right now is having the build out complete in February for a Baja trip (if the border is open).

Jos
Old 07-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Gatorjos;278194]... scheduled August in Austin (roadtrip!)[/QUOTE

We picked up our van in September in Austin....hot nights! I took along a small 12v box fan for use at night, it was a godsend. Also, suggest you consider asking SMB to install a fan in the pop-top itself, I know of at least one other member here who talked Austin into doing it.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #8

Great Jos, Enjoy!!
Old 08-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #9

Hey I wanted to just give a big shout out to Fitz who invited us over to his house last weekend, let us crawl all over his van and answer every last question we might have had. Tim is a true rock (ha! ) of the SMB community and a fount of knowledge.

I was able to give SMB Austin a number on the bed length based on that, so I should have something that fits great.

Thanks!