Aloha SMB Forum -
I have been a member on the forum for a while but really only lurk and learn. I have posted a few times and really appreciate the support from everyone. I wanted to quickly post an official introduction.
I am so stoked on Sportmobile life! I work in tourism and am living with my girlfriend full-time in a 2000 E-350 RB-50 7.3. We are traveling North America and beyond doing consulting for tour operators.
We learned a TON from the forum on setting up our rig! Below are a few pictures of our setup. We are learning more and more everyday as to how to tweak things around but all in all we are really stoked on the way things have gone for the past month on the road.
In case anyone is interested here is our setup:
- 2000 E-350 RB 50 - 7.3 powerstroke diesel - 135k miles
- Quigley 4x4
- Penthouse top (manual)
- 200 AH house battery (I want to get 400AH somehow)
- Reunel bumpers (front and rear)
- Weight after fully loaded: 10,400 lbs
- Rear Axle Weight: 5400
- Front Axle Weight: 5000
- Factory Norcold fridge, propane stove, propane heater, propane water heater (removed)
I am a total hack mechanic but with my limited skills and help from the forum, we were able to make some sweet (to us) additions to the van.
We did the following before setting out on our journey:
- Converted all lighting to LED
- Replaced van batteries (not house battery just the 2 van batteries)
- Custom fabbed a rear cargo basket for our zodiac boat and outboard motor
- Figured an easy way to carry our TW200 motorcycle (Ultimate MX Hauler)
- Installed a "Road Shower"
- Aluminess ladders on both sides + surf pole
- Yakima Skybox
- Yakima Loadwarrior + extension
- Removed our water heater
- Custom fabbed a 300 watt solar system for the roof (so that we could still carry surfboards without any shading)
- Sewed custom sheets for the lower bed + added memory foam topper
- Added additional shelves to the closets
- Added tactical seat covers with storage on the back
- Added an ARB awning (Thanks for the brackets Ray)
- Added an aluminum carrier for our front hitch. We keep a portable toilet in there as well as a Yeti 105 for additional fridge/freezer space.
- Replaced our winch line with a synthetic line
- Made sure the van was mechanically sound (we have a ton of upgrades we want (Deavers/Agile RIP are #1)
Below are a few pictures of our setup. Again thanks so much to everyone who contributes on this forum. It is a wealth of information and we are so stoked to be on the road full time in a Sportsmobile!