Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2023, 11:00 AM   #11

Offset Backspacing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
It is a pretty much-accepted fact that you can't do the 2008+ front disk upgrade (larger disk/rotors) without going to 17" wheels so things are tight with 16" wheels. I know i tried some 17" wheels but not sure if I also tried the stock 16". With aftermarket 16" wheels and stick-on weights may understandably have issues.

Not totally true. I did the full 2008+ front brake and suspension update on my 1998 E250, and used OEM slotted alloy “mag” 16” wheels. I’m pretty sure older 16” OEM alloys (the ones with the round holes) won’t clear. Aftermarket wheels = who knows?

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:57 PM   #12

Thank you, that is a very insightful and experience based answer. Exactly what I was looking for.

UPDATE: I got the wheels installed. Van looks great. Has some rubbing on turns. Getting a 2 inch raise this week which should cure that. Downside, the bigger tires brought down fuel economy 3miles per gallon.
Brightlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightlights View Post
Downside, the bigger tires brought down fuel economy 3miles per gallon.
What as your baseline MPG? 5.4 or 6.8L?
What speed do you drive on the freeway for the new MPG?
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
What as your baseline MPG? 5.4 or 6.8L?
What speed do you drive on the freeway for the new MPG?
With the 5.4 on the highway I was doing 60-65 MPH max because one of my tires was badly out of round and caused a shimy if I went any faster.... At that range I was getting 19.8-16.5. Depending on load and wind.

Same speeds now drop me to 17.0 - 15.4. If I push 70 Im down around 14. I dont lik go mush faster than 65 anyway, so I ok with it.
Brightlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightlights View Post
Thank you, that is a very insightful and experience based answer. Exactly what I was looking for.

UPDATE: I got the wheels installed. Van looks great. Has some rubbing on turns. Getting a 2 inch raise this week which should cure that. Downside, the bigger tires brought down fuel economy 3miles per gallon.
Just a warning, a 2 inch lift might not eliminate your rubbing completely. The largest part of the tire still mostly sits in the wheel well at that height. You might also still rub while driving up curb ramps and other bumps at ~1 full steering wheel revolution (the steering angle where outer diameter of the tire aligns with the pinch weld).

Here's the pinch weld trim I did if you're curious (or if you're still rubbing after a mild lift):
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...5/post-2339570
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote