Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #1

older gen (1991-older) sportsmobile type vans...who's gotem?

Well guys, I'm starting my own sportsmobile build and purposely chose an older (1990) ford van to build on. My reasoning for an older van is that I don't wanna have to deal with computers and such, and want something that's mrchanically easier for myself to work on.

If anyone on here has or has built a sportsmobile type van on a 1991 or older vehicle, please post pics, info, or links to your builds, I'd love to have more info or inspiration!

jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

Re: older gen (1991-older) sportsmobile type vans...who's go

You already bought one? Or you are about to? I would recommend 92-97 or so for ease of finding parts that they share with all the newer vans, body and aftermarket parts primarily. They aren't very computerized.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

Dookie:

I have more 'conservative' wheels and tires now, but I always liked this photo.

Welcome to the forum - lots of great information here. Tell us a bit more about your rig!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Well guys, I bought a rust free 1990 ford econoline class b camper van to modify to fwd. I bought one donor diesel ambulance cause I'm swapping out the 351 and goin oil burner and needed the diesel core support, motor mount, etc. I have a new rebuilt 7.3 that's goin in, and swapping a zf5 manual transmission for od and better mpgs. For transfer case I'm goin np205 cause I wanted sumthin that's bulletproof. I already have the dana 60 front axle and am hoping with the size tires i wanna go with, the 4.10 gearing will be good. I will be buying the hypermax turbo/intercooler/exhaust/air induction kits for it to increase power and mpgs. What I'm undecided on is the lift... I want to put hummer beadlocks with 37" tires on it, and I'm not afraid to cut wheel wells and use fender flares, but I'm not sure if despite cutting wheel wells if the 6" suspension lift will work or if I'm gonna hafta go 8" lift.

I like the simplicity of the older stuff... I had a newer class c (1994) motorhome and all the computers and sensors and issues regarding such was annoying. I'm doing all the work myself, and want to continue to be able to do all the work myself if it breaks down. Again, I will sacrifice a couple mpgs for simplicity, durability, and being able to fix a problem myself.

I still need pics and info, especially concerning size of lifts and tires on the older vans. Please keep em coming!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
Dookie:

I have more 'conservative' wheels and tires now, but I always liked this photo.

Welcome to the forum - lots of great information here. Tell us a bit more about your rig!

What size lift and tires in this pic?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

What you 're about to undertake does not sound simpler to me and here in The Peoples Republic of Cali ,would never be registerable. I do like your moxie.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled
What size lift and tires in this pic?
Tires in this pic are 315/75R16 (so just shy of 35"). Those were mounted on 10" wheels with a bit of offset - they looked good, but the slider door wouldn't clear. I now have 295/75R16's on 8" wheels and they look much more civilized.

I believe the rear has 3" or 4" blocks. Not ideal, but it seems to work fine. The front has custom spring perches that I think equate to about a 4" lift. So it may be a 2"-3" lift over a normal Pathfinder van of this era?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #8

Here's mine...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11103
taylorvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #9

Thanks for the info rockbender, nice rig.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #10

I've seen and commented on urs before taylorvon, and I still like it! Great idea about linex on the doghouse, I will have to modify mine for the zf5, so I think the linex is perfect for covering up the fiberglass job I will have to do.